Fish List for 65g FOWLR

estein02

Now that I am getting close to the point of adding fish to the tank the wife decides to throw in her 2 cents on fish the SHE wants. Please let me know what you think of this list and order in which to add them.
1. Lawnmower Blenny
2. Percula Clown
3. Six Line Wrasse
4. Foxface
5. Porcupine Puffer
6. Flame Angel
Any comments are greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

estein02

I'm nixing the puffer as I am contimplating adding zoas to the tank down the road and just read that the puffer is not reef safe.

estein02

Originally Posted by bjsbargain
I would add the flame angel after the percula.
Why? Are the less territorial then the Wrasse or Foxface.

nicetry

Originally Posted by estein02
Now that I am getting close to the point of adding fish to the tank the wife decides to throw in her 2 cents on fish the SHE wants. Please let me know what you think of this list and order in which to add them.
1. Lawnmower Blenny
2. Percula Clown
3. Six Line Wrasse
4. Foxface
5. Porcupine Puffer
6. Flame Angel
Thank you!
Both the puffer and foxface will become too large for the tank. The rest looks fine. I'd suggest a pair of clowns, and add them first. The lawnmower blenny should have a healthy crop of algae to feed on so wait on him for a few months. This holds true for the flame angel as well. THe sixline could be added early on but get a small specimen as the larger ones can be nippy with new fish. Instead of the sixline, one of the flasher wrasses would be nice. Maybe consider one of the basslets or assessors for some added color.

T

tmy880

1. Lawnmower Blenny
2. Percula Clown
3. Six Line Wrasse
4. Foxface
5. Porcupine Puffer
6. Flame Angel
Thank you!
I have the same size tank.
I added the clean up crew first.
Then 2 false perculas
Then a Golden Headed Goby
Then six line wrasse
Then 4 Green chromis
and finally for NOW Royal Gramma.
Royal Gramma and 1 Green Chromis are dead....not sure why probably picked on by mated clown pair.
I think the fox face will probably be too big also.
Flame angel last.

estein02

Originally Posted by nicetry
Both the puffer and foxface will become too large for the tank. The rest looks fine. I'd suggest a pair of clowns, and add them first. The lawnmower blenny should have a healthy crop of algae to feed on so wait on him for a few months. This holds true for the flame angel as well. THe sixline could be added early on but get a small specimen as the larger ones can be nippy with new fish. Instead of the sixline, one of the flasher wrasses would be nice. Maybe consider one of the basslets or assessors for some added color.
Thank you very much for the advice. I've checked some of the fish you suggested and have some thinking to do. I really like the Gold Assessor and the Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (if I go with the flasher wrasse would you suggest adding a pair?). I've also thought about adding a flame hawkfish...sounds like a neat fish.

nicetry

Thank you very much for the advice. I've checked some of the fish you suggested and have some thinking to do. I really like the Gold Assessor and the Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (if I go with the flasher wrasse would you suggest adding a pair?). I've also thought about adding a flame hawkfish...sounds like a neat fish.
A pair of wrasses would be great. You'd really see the male flash. Flame hawk is a nice fish but if you planned to keep shrimp, it will eat them.

estein02

Originally Posted by tmy880
Then 2 false perculas
Then six line wrasse
Then 4 Green chromis
Royal Gramma and 1 Green Chromis are dead....not sure why probably picked on by mated clown pair.
Flame angel last.
I was thinking about a Royal Gramma initially, but I heard they can be pretty aggressive. Guess that is why you're adding it last. Are the Perculas that unfriendly?

bjsbargain

The flame can be aggressive but usually smaller fish or newer fish. The royal gramma is more aggressive I believe than the flame, so I would add the royal before the flame since it's smaller. The royal shouldn't bother the flame when its added because its larger than him. The royal wouldn't do good with anything smaller than him added to the tank after him. Hope that helps. BTW I do have both of those, plus more.

estein02

So how does this list look? I'm not certain about the order so any input is appreciated.
1. Pair of Carpenter's Flasher Wrasses (can these both be added at the same time? If not I read that the female should be added first)
2. Pair of Percula Clowns
3. Gold Assessor Basslet
4. Lawnmower Blenny
5. Flame Hawkfish
6. Flame Angel
Seems like a lot of fish, but they are all small so I am hoping that it is okay. The one fish that I really want is the Flame Angel, so if I need to cutback I would prefer it be one of the other fish.
I still need to set up and cycle my QT tank so, unfortunately, it will be a few weeks before I even buy the first fish. Guess I'll have to enjoy my CUC for now!
Thanks again for the help.

estein02

Originally Posted by tmy880
Then 2 false perculas
Then six line wrasse
Then 4 Green chromis
Flame angel last.
Are a pair of perculas that mean. Would you suggest another type of clown fish?
Thanks

estein02

So how does this list look? I'm not certain about the order so any input is appreciated.
1. Pair of Carpenter's Flasher Wrasses (can these both be added at the same time? If not I read that the female should be added first)
3. Gold Assessor Basslet
4. Lawnmower Blenny
5. Flame Hawkfish
6. Flame Angel
Seems like a lot of fish, but they are all small so I am hoping that it is okay. The one fish that I really want is the Flame Angel, so if I need to cutback I would prefer it be one of the other fish.
I still need to set up and cycle my QT tank so, unfortunately, it will be a few weeks before I even buy the first fish. Guess I'll have to enjoy my CUC for now!
BUMP

estein02

So how does this revised list look? I'm not certain about the order so any input is appreciated.
3. Gold Assessor Basslet
4. Lawnmower Blenny
5. Flame Hawkfish
6. Flame Angel

gatorwpb

I cant comment on some of your fish, but I have a 65 and I can tell you about my fish. I did want a hawkfish, but I love my shrimp too much for them to be dinner.
Fish and order added:
Pair of Onyx Clowns (percula variant)
Banghai Cardinal
Blue-green Chromis
Blackcap Basslet
Flame Angel
My idea was to have mostly small fish. Im thinking of adding a red fin algae blenny as my last one, but waiting for lfs to get one in.
I had a 6-line that would pick on the Blackcap until the Blackcap finally stood up for itself... no more 6-line :(

estein02

Originally Posted by GatorWPB
I cant comment on some of your fish, but I have a 65 and I can tell you about my fish. I did want a hawkfish, but I love my shrimp too much for them to be dinner.
Fish and order added:
Pair of Onyx Clowns (percula variant)
Banghai Cardinal
Blue-green Chromis
Blackcap Basslet
Flame Angel
My idea was to have mostly small fish. Im thinking of adding a red fin algae blenny as my last one, but waiting for lfs to get one in.
I had a 6-line that would pick on the Blackcap until the Blackcap finally stood up for itself... no more 6-line :(
Thanks for your comments. I was thinking about getting shrimp, but I think I like the Flame Hawkfish more then the shrimp. The onyx clowns are pretty cool looking...expensive though! How long have you had your flame angel? I think they are one of the nicest looking fish.

estein02

So how does this revised list look? I'm not certain about the order so any input is appreciated.
3. Gold Assessor Basslet
4. Lawnmower Blenny
5. Flame Hawkfish
6. Flame Angel
Bump...just looking for some advice on the order I am planning on adding the fish and the quantity when all is said and done.

T

tmy880

Are a pair of perculas that mean. Would you suggest another type of clown fish?
Thanks
My perculas arent that aggressive, I am only assuming they killed the RG because I saw them nip at it once.
I wouldnt trade my false percula pair for anything. I love em.