fish list for a 125g

stanlalee

Originally Posted by kiki05
so would it be better to spend the extra cash and get the reef ready and is their any trigger or puffer that is a community fish

yes its better to spend the extra cash. hang on overflow boxes and plumbing will wind up costing anyway.
any "toby" puffer will be fine. they have the potential to occasionally nip other fish fins (which will leave small circular holes) but they are such poor swimmers rarely do they pose any real threat. they have the potential to eat shimp, hermits and snails however everytime this question gets posted those with actual experience with them, me included have never or rarely had them go after larger shrimp or hermits. You can also get them so relatively small they are hardly a threat to anybody and by the time they get to the 4-5" max they grow they are accostumed to the community and leave stuff alone they might not if you had got it that size. They may nip at corals. Mine only nipped at open brain which is suppose to be like candy to qustionable reef safe fish due to the fleshy/slimy nature (my dwarf angel did the same thing to open brain).
Toby/Canthigaster puffers would include valentini, saddle, hawaiian blue and spotted to name a few common ones. Here's the one I used to have til he became a victim of a powerhead (they dont swimm well and can get stuck in the suction so make sure they have a strainer or use propeller type)

stanlalee

Thanks and regular old fiji from a local shop. Its probably over a year old in that pic so coralline coverage is decent.

kiki05

New list
1 royal gramma
2 paired percula clown
1 blue tang
1 lawnmower blenny
1 valentini puffer
And would that be in the right order to put them in the tank

stanlalee

Originally Posted by kiki05
New list
1 royal gramma
2 paired percula clown
1 blue tang
1 lawnmower blenny
1 valentini puffer
And would that be in the right order to put them in the tank

that will work. any way you put them in the tank will probably be fine as long as the puffer goes in last (though they more bold then aggressive).

lesleybird

Hi, Here is what I have found on the web about your Valentini puffer. Though small in size, the Valentini can nip and and bite the fins of aquarium mates. It should be kept with other compatible semi-aggressive fish and will likely be aggressive toward its own species. The Valentini Puffer does feed on red algae, green algae, and coralline algae, but also likes to use its teeth feeding on crustaceans. It is definitely not recommended for the reef aquarium. Meaty foods it may accept include krill, clam, and carnivore preparations. Other sources say they can bite and they give off a poision if stressed that can kill your other fish. It also says that small crabs and snails will be eaten by the puffer fish. I'd skip the puffer.
I would put in the blenny and the clowns in at the same time. Then maybe the royal gramma and a pretty fairy wrasse (or a pair), at the same time. Then put in the tang and a smaller angelfish like a majestic (I'm partial to them as I have had mine for three years). If you are like me, only one large fish is best and you could have some fun with a couple of antheis if you only add one fish that gets large. I only have one lyretail antheis as I did not know how much I would like them....mine is the liveliest fish in the tank, not shy and very bright. Seems to like people. I just ordered him a female friend that will go into quarentine when she comes today. Lesley

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Lesleybird
Hi, Here is what I have found on the web about your Valentini puffer.
what the web says and actual experiences are often alot different. Valentini puffers are prone to nip fins BUT they arent chasers. this usually happens when fish aren't being alert or sleeping. Its a case where people see a circle in their other fishes fin but never see the puffer do it. It usually only takes one time for the fish to be more alert and not let it happen again. the puffer certaintly cant catch any alert reef fish with its swimming ability. in a tank that size keeping a small valentini puffer is no big issue. Its a fish that can be generally kept with more aggressive fish if need be or less aggressive fish for the most part.
Valentini's feed on algae (not coralline) but it doesn't make up the bulk of their diet in captivity. They will sparingly if at all go for algae or algae clips. they will pick little worms, snails and feather dusters from the rocks. They are NOT coral eaters for the most part though there may be a coral or two that it will take a liking to (almost always open brain). some may bother clams.
Usually either you want a puffer or you dont and if you do you make the sacrafice or take chances in order to have one. The web says they'll eat ornamental shrimp but myself and NUMEROUS people have kept them without issue with cleaner shrimp. He never bothered my hermits or snails either mine was in my reef as well and the only thing it bothered was open brain. If it didn't get sucked into a powerhead I'd still have it in there now.

kiki05

I do want a puffer but i guess i have to do a whole lot more research than i thought to see if its right with the other fish i have an the invertebrates and anemone i get