Fish List

thelogan

I know there are lots of people with fish lists wanting to be checked, so sorry for the ones who have to awnser this, but better safe than sorry right?
Im new to SWF and SWF.com. Im wanting to make a FOWLR and maybe eventually add some easy(very easy) corals eventually such as zoo's and such. I think i've done the reasearch and am ready to start planning my tank. it will start in august for 2 reasons. 1-its when i will have the money to get all the supplies and 2-mom's making me lol
So, I want some input on some fun, outgoing personality fish. there are two fish i want so far.
1. pair of Black & White clowns
2. CopperBand Butterfly (and i realize they need a more established tank before being added)
Im open to any recomendations and comments, but i would really like a fish that makes a burrow without needing a full 6 inch sand bed, but if there isnt one, than i guess 6 inch bed it is lol.
Thanks for the Help!

Logan

1journeyman

Originally Posted by TheLogan
I know there are lots of people with fish lists wanting to be checked, so sorry for the ones who have to awnser this, but better safe than sorry right?
Im new to SWF and SWF.com. Im wanting to make a FOWLR and maybe eventually add some easy(very easy) corals eventually such as zoo's and such. I think i've done the reasearch and am ready to start planning my tank. it will start in august for 2 reasons. 1-its when i will have the money to get all the supplies and 2-mom's making me lol
So, I want some input on some fun, outgoing personality fish. there are two fish i want so far.
1. pair of Black & White clowns
2. CopperBand Butterfly (and i realize they need a more established tank before being added)
Im open to any recomendations and comments, but i would really like a fish that makes a burrow without needing a full 6 inch sand bed, but if there isnt one, than i guess 6 inch bed it is lol.
Thanks for the Help!

Logan
Welcome to the boards!
You're being very smart about this... you'll save yourself a lot of time/money/tears by researching up front.
We need some more info. Primarily, what size tank? Is it going to have refugium and sump?

thelogan

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Welcome to the boards!
You're being very smart about this... you'll save yourself a lot of time/money/tears by researching up front.
We need some more info. Primarily, what size tank? Is it going to have refugium and sump?
sorry bout that. it will be a 65g with a sump not quite sure what a refugium is... :notsure:

A

azul1994

i just got a sleeper goby and as soon as it got in the tank it made a burrow under the lr.. i only have 2-3 inch sand bed :happyfish

jam1e

I've never had a set-up tank without a sleeper goby in it. I have a diamond goby in my 90 gallon. 2 diamond goby's in my 210 gallon and I plan on adding a signal goby to my 12 gallon. They don't need 6 inches of sand and they will be probably the best sand sifters out there. I highly recomend any sleeper goby. Particularly the diamond goby. If you're going without coral I would recomend a dwarf angel. Very active fish.

thelogan

thanks for the help guys. im still wondering what A fuge is. and these are all invert safe correct?

1journeyman

A fuge is a seperate body of water away from your tank. Comes from the word "refuge". It can be used to raise pods, macro algaes, etc. Many people (myself included) divide a sump into a sump/refugium.
Some Gobies are more sand sifters than shifters. For a healthy sand bed you want to avoid sifters. The best sand bed critters are the pods, tiny stars, worms, etc. Sifters eat them.
Cucumbers and Nass. snails both are good for keeping sand beds healthy.

thelogan

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
A fuge is a seperate body of water away from your tank. Comes from the word "refuge". It can be used to raise pods, macro algaes, etc. Many people (myself included) divide a sump into a sump/refugium.
Some Gobies are more sand sifters than shifters. For a healthy sand bed you want to avoid sifters. The best sand bed critters are the pods, tiny stars, worms, etc. Sifters eat them.
Cucumbers and Nass. snails both are good for keeping sand beds healthy.
Thanks for the fuge info. but what i meant with inverts was like the fun kind like pistol shrimp and emrald crabs. OH! speaking of pistol shrimp, would it stay in the burrow w/ a diamond goby.

thelogan

OK heres what ive got for the list now
-Black and White clown pair
-Watchman Tiger Goby <or> Pink and Blue Goby
-Midas Blenny
-Flame Angel
And after tank is established well
-Copperband Butterfly
As far as inverts (not including cleaning crew)
-Tiger Pistol Shrimp
-Cleaner Shrimp
-2 or 3 Emerald Crabs
-Decorator Crab
Whata ya think?

1journeyman

The Butterfly gets to be close to 8 inches so your tank may be a bit small for him.
Pistols definitely dig. Both of mine have burrows deep in the rock somewhere. I see one or the other about once every couple of months.
Emerald Crabs don't dig. They are also pretty reclusive. A pair of Cleaner shrimps would work great. Also a Brittle Star. As well as a variety of snails.
I have a Falco and a Red Spotted Hawkfish. Consider one or the other for an interesting fish.