fish not eating!

lagatbezan

i got a bi-color angel fish 2 days ago and it doesn't seem to eat! i was told it will eat brine shrimp which i'm feeding my fish! it seems very active and healthy but does not eat! Any help would be great!
Thanks in advance!
46 galon bow front
35 lb live rock w/dsb
2 clown fish
5 red legged crabs
1 snail
tank has been running for 4 1/2 months
todays water readings:
temp ~ 80
ph ~ 8.2
ammonia ~ 0
nitrate ~ 10
nitrite ~ 0

flamingkingofhe

is this fish in a qt
have you tried garlic extreme sometimes a newly added fish will not eat for a couple days
is there anything in the tank picking on him
what sie tamk is it?

lagatbezan

Thanks for the quick reply!
Nothing is picking on him. he does seem to pick at my rocks here and there! he is in my main tank! i'm in the process of making a q.tank!
can you guys give me some more info on the garlic you are talking about! where i get it / what kind and how to prepare it?
Thanks!!!

nyxll

Has it eaten yet? If not you might want to try caplin roe. It is available at your local oriental market in the frozen section. My fish go nuts over the stuf. I even had a coral beauty decide he wanted to eat after 2 weeks having him the 1st time I tried this stuff. I wouldn't use it as a staple food though because it is seasoned with soy sauce.
Greg

lagatbezan

i have been going crazy trying to get this fish to eat with no success!!! i have tried brine shrimp, pellets, 2 different flake food, i even did the garlic thing and no luck! i have no idea how he has stayed alive for the last 2 1/2 weeks! probably eating off my live rock??
caplin roe w/soy sauce?????
any other help would be great!
I'm in the final stages of a qt tank. but i'm afraid if i quarentine him, he will dine since no live rock in th equarentine tank for him to nib on! any advice?
Thanks!

nyxll

If you don't want to try it its up to you. The only ingredients that I was questioning were MSGs & sugar. I asked for help in the chemistry section of a larger board moderated by someone with a doctorate in chemistry. He said he wasn't positive but sounded like I would be fine. Been doing it for about a month & not even my sps (hydnophora) seems to mind. Even if you dont do it again I think its worth a shot.

Greg

lagatbezan

actually i was going to give it a shot, but unfortunatly after all my attemps to get it to eat, it died today:(
i don't know why it wasn't eating. can i get a new fish or should i wait? all my water permat wre fine two days ago. i will check them again tonight!
thanks for all the help guys!

nyxll

Im sorry to hear about the angel. Sometimes in this hobby things like that happen. It was too stressed out to eat and it probably wasn't even your tanks condition. I would go ahead & try another fish as long as parameters are still in check. Make sure you see it eat at the LFS though. If it eats you should be good to go. If it doesn't eat, leave it there. And if the LFS wont feed it for you it may not be eating so don't buy it then either.
Oh and I also found out Eric Borneman, author of Aquarium Corals, uses caplin-roe from the oriental market in his personal coral food concoctun and for his fish :)
Greg