Fish-Only Aquarium Questions

bamaeskie

Hello!!!
I'm a newbie here and to saltwater aquariums. Lately I've been reading lots of information about saltwater aquariums from this site and from some books I purchased. I've had freshwater aquariums for years and have always wanted to have a saltwater aquarium. I've still got LOTS to learn (and am a little OCD
), but I do want to get your opinions on some info that I'm not sure about.
I plan on having a fish-only aquarium. There are a 55 gallon with a MegaFlow overflow and a 75 gallon without the MegaFlow at my LFS (and they won't order a 75 with a MegaFlow). So for a fish-only aquarium, how important is it to have the Megaflow? The Megaflow is more for convenience with hooking up filtration, right?
I've read and been told conflicting info about having live rock. I'd be fine just using artificial rock. Your opinions and thoughts?
Speaking of filtration, exactly what kinds of filtration methods do you suggest for a 75 gallon fish-only aquarium? I'm not sure what fish I'll add to the tank or if that would even make a difference in the filtration I use. I know it's going to be a long time before I add any fish, so I'm still researching what fish I'll possibly purchase when the time comes.
I've read about having two lower-wattage heaters in tanks in case one quits. Is this a good idea?
I was told (and read) that aragonite gravel would be a good substrate for a fish-only aquarium. Yes or no?
I know I'll be asking more questions as I begin my saltwater aquarium adventure, but I wanted to go ahead and thank you in advance for your opinions and advice.

crimzy

Wow that's a lot of questions but I'll give it a shot. I'd definitely get the tank that is drilled with an overflow. Without one, you have to use u-tube overflows (which can be loud and are a greater risk of flooding), hang on filtration only or cannister filtration (these are second rate to a sump). You'll be very happy with the drilled overflow.
Artificial rock is ok for aesthetics but liverock provides a lot of biological filtration. It is expensive but is an important part of the natural filter in a healthy system. If you don't want to buy all of the liverock then you can buy some live rock and some base/artificial rock. The beneficial bacteria will eventually grow onto those other rocks.
A sump/refugium with a protein skimmer is the best bet for filtration. It is simple, can be built inexpensively and is the most effective.
Heaters, IMO are not as important... depending on your room temperature. I don't use a heater but my lights keep the tank warm. One heater should be fine.
Any type of gravel will trap nitrates, which diminish water quality, and can be detrimental to certain species of fish. Sand is a better filter and most fish prefer it.
Hope that covers everything.

crimzy

Originally Posted by sporty99
damn shes good. i agree with every thing she said
She...
those are fighting words around here.

kclester

i think your gunna NEED the live rock but you CAn do without the LR has alot of the bacteria and such that you will need for a new sw tank it will also help the cycle and i would chose sand over the gravel or cruched coral....im a newbie to but im just passin on to you what i was told and i hope it helps you