Fish only or reef for newbie

zedx6

Already having problems, picked up 29 or 30-gallon hex from co-worker who had used it for lizards, began to leak after 2 days of water testing, luckily wife had suggested using tub. I also noticed that my lighting options are some what limited by the tanks 18" width dimension, I really do not want to go the pendant route, I was planning on a reef but due to the lighting issue may just do fish only to gain some experience with water maintenance. I have been researching things for at least a month and just seems that with all the options available it becomes pretty confusing on what to choose for equipment. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

barry cuda

A good book goes a long way to demystify the hobby and help you make some choices about how to go. I'd recommend The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paletta...it's very approachable and contains lots of useful checklists for setting up your first tank.

clint_reno

I have a hex tank, and it great if you are limited by space. But if your tank is leaking, you might want to consider just buying a new one at ***** or Walmart, as the prices are quite reasonable.
This is a great hobby, but it is not for everyone. Barry is right to recommend reading-up on the subject. If you start a tank, I say take it slow. It really works in your favor. Also, I really recommend you keep a small QT tank.
An ideal set-up for a beginner is a 50g display, and a 10g QT.
Welcome to the board!

krishj39

I agree with what has been said. The hex will probably be problematic, but may still be workable.
I wanted to say specifically that as you set your tank up, it is very possible to start out with fish only and then as you get the hang of it and continue to add more things to your tank that you can gradually move up to a reef tank. You don't need to buy all new stuff for the reef tank if you are careful, you will just need to be sure that the stuff you buy for the fish only tank will still be usable in the master plan of moving to a reef tank.

neah84

I would say that you start out with a fish only or even a fish only with live rock. the lighting will be difficult to work with but that doesnt mean that its not doable either. if you really want to do a reef then just make sure that you do alot of research. welcome to the board and good luck
Jusitn

aarone

go with a FO for awhile until you get the hang of keeping your water parameters stable and mixing the salt and learning the dos and donts of SW.
When you have saved enough money go reef!