fish out of water...actually fish in overflow

Well I got home around 4:00 this afternoon and could not find one of my two clownfish (percs) I searched the tank, but with much rock I assumed the worst. Thinking, since they have never been known to hide, he went behind some rock a died. I got home after going out to dinner tonight around 10:00 and my wife and I scoured the tank for the little guy. Finally I stuck my head in the corner to look at my overflow (which I had glancingly done this afternoon), and there he was fighting the current. I am not sure how he survived all that time, but I had put bioballs in the overflow to lessen the gurgling noise and that left a steady but small level of water in there, somehow he had wedged himself underneath some of the bioballs, and was swimming although fighting it in the overflow. I got the lid off removed some of the balls and scooped him out with my hand and put him back in, he seems to be doing ok so far, but I estimate that he spent about 6 hours or more in the overflow. I am so excited that he is not dead, hopefully there will be no other complications. I haven't named him yet. Should I call him nemo?? ;-)
Sean

bdhough

If he can do it once he can do it again. Shore up any holes he might be able to fit through. Thats about all you can do.

I'm still not sure how it happened, because my corners are sectioned off and somehow he must have gotten sucked in, but it is very tight grooves for him to be sliding through. Not sure
sean

stumpdog

Sean-
This happened to me also. Except it happened 2 days in a row. I went to Home Depot and purchased some egg crate. I wasn't sure what this stuff was. After receiving a great deal of help from this board I realized it was called "light diffusers." This stuff is a big plastic sheet of grid like stuff that go over big flo. lights. I cut some off and put it over the slots of my overflow. Everything has been fine since then and now I don't have to worry about it. If you need a picture just let me know.
HTH-
Jeremy

bdhough

Or you could cut some mesh netting and place it around the top. Thats another way. Rubber band it or weight it or whatever you want....

My mandarin and bi color blenny did that one night when I took pictures of my lion and didnt notice. The next night I was looking for them and found the blenny on the floor all dried up, looked up with my flashlight and my mandarin was looking down at me. I have since screened and with the addition of an eel, eggcrated up the back.

S

slofish

I suggest using a plastic mesh/netting to cover the overflow to protect your fish from getting in. I use it and even the smallest of fish are not able to get caught, but it does have enough space in the mesh to allow the water to flow without a problem.

S

slofish

sorry I dont have a camera or i would post a pic, but the stuff is about the thickness of a credit card and looks like a miniature chain link fence that is made of plastic. The material is flexible enough to get it around the overflow. something you could pick up at some hardware stores.

stumpdog

table-
aggie placed a picture of the stuff up above. I will take a picture of mine on my overflow and post it later. Isn't this site great.
HTH-
Jeremy

cinders

FYI I had a problem with small fish and my overflow box. I used plastic canvas (at any craft store, used for needle point). I put a strip around the sides held in place by a rubber band. The holes are small squares, enough to keep fish out but does not interfere with the water flow like netting could.