fish per gallon

reefnut

I think it is 1" per 5 gallons but like all of the "Rule of Thumbs" in our hobby it doesn't mean anything.
What size of tank do you have and what fish do you have in mind??

pickyone

i have a 55gal fowlr.diamond goby,skunk cleaner shrimp,royal gramma,copperband butterfly,false percula and some snails and hermits. is it possible to add a couple more fish and if it is what would you reccommend.thank you

reefnut

Yea you could probably add a couple more... what do you have for filtration?? DSB, # of LR, Refuge, Skimmer, etc. Also, what do your nitrates run currently??

scubadoo

Originally Posted by pickyone
does someone know the general rule of fish per gallon
No such rule exists. All depends on the animal and the system. many will state 1 inch per every five gallons, but this is not in concrete. Filtration also plays a part.
For example, many tangs would fall within this limit for 4 foot tanks but many require larger swimming areas.
I recall reading an article where someone recommended for large angela 1 inch per 10 gallons as a minimum tank size. Also, the shape of the system/tank factors in regarding bio-load.
JMO

crashedin0

fresh water the rule is one gal per inch of fish but salt water
its a whole new game ive hav lfs tell me an animal is fine in
30 gal i anounce it on the site the tang police came and beat me
so hard i think even putty(the name of my yellow tang) was laughing
but i had him their for over 6 months before i decided i he was getting to bigg so i moved him to my best friends tank where he is swiming around just as much as he did in my tank