Fish quantity and type for the 55

B

bridget111188

I have yet to set up my 55 gallon tank but I would like to get some advice on what type of fish and how many will fill the tank. I'm also planning on having this tank be a reef tank so all must be reef safe. I would also like a good clean up crew of blue leg hermit crabs, turbo snails, coral banded shrimp and nassarius snails. So everything would need to be invert safe too.
Could I have a tang in a 55 gallon or will it be too small? I know they need a lot of swimming space.
Are there any angels that are really reef safe and that would fit in a 55?
What would be a good number for a group of anthias?
Also what would be a good group of chromis?
What wrasse are reef safe and small enough for a 55 gallon would a fairy wrasse be a good fit?
I also enjoy the sunrise dotty back, yellow headed jawfish, shrimp goby, neon blue goby, clarkii clown, marine betta, green dragonet would they be well kept in this type of tank?
Thanks for any input If yo have any experience with these guys I would love to hear about it :)

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget111188 http:///t/395938/fish-quantity-and-type-for-the-55#post_3526356
I have yet to set up my 55 gallon tank but I would like to get some advice on what type of fish and how many will fill the tank. I'm also planning on having this tank be a reef tank so all must be reef safe. I would also like a good clean up crew of blue leg hermit crabs, turbo snails, coral banded shrimp and nassarius snails. So everything would need to be invert safe too.
Could I have a tang in a 55 gallon or will it be too small? I know they need a lot of swimming space.
What wrasse are reef safe and small enough for a 55 gallon would a fairy wrasse be a good fit?
I also enjoy the sunrise dotty back, yellow headed jawfish, shrimp goby, neon blue goby, clarkii clown, marine betta, green dragonet would they be well kept in this type of tank?
Thanks for any input If yo have any experience with these guys I would love to hear about it :)
Your list is pretty good however, no to the tang and as for the marine betta, I'm not to sure. I can recommend two clowns, one dotty back, if only one and added last, one "Dwarf" angelfish and you must realize some of them are not reef safe, and only one. Yellow headed gobies are a great choice as are the neon gobies, however, some times they may bicker. The dragonet yes but only after the tank has been up and running for close to a year. Their primary diet are copods and have been known to starve to death.
I would like to say, without sounding rude, is do some research on the fish you like and can have.
Oh and as for the coral banded shrimp, I would say NO. They are very aggressive and will only cause you headaches rather enjoyment. Just my thoughts. :)

tthemadd1

55 gal tank is the largest of the small tanks. Not much space for open swimmers. Meaning fish that do not normally hide in rocks or corals in the wild.
Best rule is 1" of fish per 5 gallons of water. That is fully grown fish. So two clowns at 3" fully grown take up half your tank.
The problem isn't the initial introduction but the consumption of oxygen, production of waste, and bioload that the tank can produce. Once your fish are in the tank for a year or two your tank is teetering on the edge at all times. Meaning if you have any sort of emergency it is hard for the fish to take the change. Ammonia spikes, etc. more water changes equal higher maintenance costs and less time enjoying the tank.
Second think about what each fish eats. With diversity comes diversity in food source. Herbivores vs carnivores. Reef safe vs aggressives. Dragonets need a constant supply of pods. This means a good breeding system toxin tank the quantity. There are plenty of people that will say you can do it with supplementing pods. That costs more money, increased pumps, refugium, lighting, etc.
Some things to think about.
Personally I am going with four fish in my 75g plus refuge 20g.
Two snowflake clowns
Coral beauty
Potters wrasse
That's a total of 10-12" in 90 gallons. It's half the recommended because I want the color and movement without the constant water changes, crazy feeding, and prefer corals and inverts to fish. There are tons of inverts in the hobby that provide diversity, color, shape, movement, and much less waste.
All depends on your personal taste and doing this type of research. So good for you.

B

bridget111188

Thank you so much for your input. I have done research on the fish I'm interested in. I just wanted to know what peoples experience with the fish were. Thanks

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget111188 http:///t/395938/fish-quantity-and-type-for-the-55#post_3526356
Hi,

[*]
No tang...no way.
[*]
A wonderful angelfish for a 55g would be the dwarf angels. The only drawback is that you can have ONLY ONE or they fight to the death. The coral beauty, bi-color, flame, and my personal favorite...the lemonpeel, are all beautiful and bright colored. They love swimming in and out of the rocks.
[*]
Anthias are hard to keep alive, I would pass on them. Frankly they remind me of gold fish.
I love the colors of the fairy wrasses...but they are terrible jumpers, and covering the tank is dangerous because of gas exchange. The egg crate isn't enough to keep them from committing sushi. They find some tiny opening and away they go.
LOL...I understand 100% about liking the fish on your list, but no way can you have that many fish in a 55g. Two clowns and a neon goby is doable, along with a single dottyback.
The mandarine needs a ton of copepods per day, or they starve to death. Unless you have a MATURE (up and running 1 year)
refugium, you don't have enough copepods to keep one going. It isn't very often they learn to take frozen food...it has been done, but you can't count on it.
This book is a life saver.

A page so you can see the info it offers:

B

bridget111188

Ok, I think I have my fish list figured out... Tell me what you think please. I wont be offended by your thoughts. I'll list them in the order of placement in the tank. Time also added.
Step 1 first fish adding soon after the tank has cycled (2 weeks to 1 month)
2 to 4 Chromis
Step 2 clean up crew adding a month or two after the chromis (1.5 month to 2 months)
10 Blue leg hermit crabs
5 Turbo snails
10 Spiny star astreae snails
10 Nassarius snails
Step 3 interesting cleaners added (2 months to 3 months)
1 to 2 Two spotted gobies
Step 4 more schooling if needed may not add added (3 to 5 months)
1 to 3 Anthias
Step 5 cleaner for worm pick up added (3 months to 5 months)
1 Sunrise dotty back
Step 6 movement fish added (4 to 6 months)
1 or 2 Red headed fairy wrasse
Step 7 pretty cleaners added (4 to 6 months)
1 or 2 Harlequin shrimp
Step 8 I would love to have an angel but may not need added (4 to 8 months)
1 Coral beauty
Step 9 if needed more cleaners may not need one may not add
(4 to 6 months)
Brittle starfish
Step 10 I would love an anemone and I know clarkii (8 months to 1 year)

1 to 2 Clarkii clowns
1 Condi anemone or long tentacle anemone what are clarkiis more likely to bond to?
Step 11 easy coral life that spread fast added (8 months to 1.5 year)

Fancy blue, red and curly mushrooms
Step 12 easy to house and easy to frag added
(8 months to 1.5 year)

Toadstool and finger ?leathers
Step 13 very nice hard coral added
(8 months to 2 years)

Montiporas

kiefers

Do you have your tank up and running? If not, you may want to wait on the anemone. They need a well established system in order to live. The animal may die on you if added to soon.
Personally I like your choices, just take it slow and practice some patients. It will pay off in the long run.
Do you have a QT set up? I would highly recommend getting one going as well. A 15 or 20 gallon would be perfect for your 55.
I hope you like your tank. I have a 56 column reef and really enjoy it, most of the time, Lol.

B

bridget111188

Agreed. That's why I'm going to wait until the last couple steps before adding the anemone.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget111188 http:///t/395938/fish-quantity-and-type-for-the-55#post_3526417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers
http:///t/395938/fish-quantity-and-type-for-the-55#post_3526415
+1
Sorry what do you mean by +1? 1 year plus?
Hahahaaa. +1= I agree.
So, do you have a QT tank? But yes, 1 year wait for the anemone. Like I stated, that is just my thoughts. Better safe than sorry. anemones move around in your tank in order to find a happy place, so I would say get your tank anemone ready. They have been known to get into power heads to.
Also, if your still thinking of getting yellow headed gobys, you may want to net your tank well as these fish, as well as other gobys are famous for jumping out of tanks. I would make sure you net cover your top, skimmer box, and anywhere else they can get through because they WILL get out.

B

bridget111188

Oh I see. Thanks for the info. I don't have my show tank or my quarantine tank set up yet. But I will be setting up a quarantine tank for sure. I'm making sure I know exactly step by step what I'm doing before setting anything up. I do take care of about 180 gallons of saltwater, including reef, fish only and aggressive tanks for work. So I know how to care for already established tanks. But I have never set one up from scratch.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget111188 http:///t/395938/fish-quantity-and-type-for-the-55#post_3526424
Oh I see. Thanks for the info. I don't have my show tank or my quarantine tank set up yet. But I will be setting up a quarantine tank for sure. I'm making sure I know exactly step by step what I'm doing before setting anything up. I do take care of about 180 gallons of saltwater, including reef, fish only and aggressive tanks for work. So I know how to care for already established tanks. But I have never set one up from scratch.
Sounds like your on the right track then. Good luck and I hope to see pics of your new set up.

aggiealum

I've had a Yellow Tang in my 55 for 3 years now. One of the most content fish I have. I've had as many as 6 small fish in at one time, but you have to do 25% water changes every other week to make sure the bio load stays down. When I first started my tank 7 years ago, I had a Coral Beauty, couple of Chromis, Ocellaris Clown, and a Stars and Stripes Puffer. All lived happily together for 4 years until the Coral Beauty and Puffer died. That's when I added the Yellow Tang.
People seem to harp about QT tanks, but they're overrated. I played the QT tank setup when I first started out, and rarely used the thing after my tanks was established. If you stay away from the Tang family, you rarely is ever have to worry about Ich. If you want to spend another $50 - $100 to setup another tank that'll end up sitting idle most of the time after you get the livestock you want in your 55, knock yourself out. That's just two tanks you have to take care of.
Spend money on a good sump setup, or a nice LED light system. If you want to do any type of corals or anemones, you're going to need the bright lights.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieAlum http:///t/395938/fish-quantity-and-type-for-the-55#post_3526429
I've had a Yellow Tang in my 55 for 3 years now. One of the most content fish I have. I've had as many as 6 small fish in at one time, but you have to do 25% water changes every other week to make sure the bio load stays down. When I first started my tank 7 years ago, I had a Coral Beauty, couple of Chromis, Ocellaris Clown, and a Stars and Stripes Puffer. All lived happily together for 4 years until the Coral Beauty and Puffer died. That's when I added the Yellow Tang.
People seem to harp about QT tanks, but they're overrated. I played the QT tank setup when I first started out, and rarely used the thing after my tanks was established. If you stay away from the Tang family, you rarely is ever have to worry about Ich. If you want to spend another $50 - $100 to setup another tank that'll end up sitting idle most of the time after you get the livestock you want in your 55, knock yourself out. That's just two tanks you have to take care of.
Spend money on a good sump setup, or a nice LED light system. If you want to do any type of corals or anemones, you're going to need the bright lights.
I'm glad to read you have a great success with your set up. Unfortunately, not everyone is as lucky. I have used my QT for more than the Quarantine process. I have used it as a hospital tank to treat sick fish or corals. many many people on here have had to utilize the QT process and if not have regretted it. however, there have been a few that have been lucky. Better to be safe than sorry.

aggiealum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///t/395938/fish-quantity-and-type-for-the-55#post_3526432
I'm glad to read you have a great success with your set up. Unfortunately, not everyone is as lucky. I have used my QT for more than the Quarantine process. I have used it as a hospital tank to treat sick fish or corals. many many people on here have had to utilize the QT process and if not have regretted it. however, there have been a few that have been lucky. Better to be safe than sorry.
If you want the added expense of maintaining a tank that stays empty most of the time, that's your option. My logic is if a fish has signs of stress, it's most likely going to die anyway. You can spend more money trying to treat a fish, when you can simply let it run its course and buy a replacement if it dies. Most aquarist who maintain small tanks that are 55 and under, don't put $40+ fish in them. Corals can get pricey, but most of those don't last but a year or so due to the confines of a small tank, unless you spend an awful amount of time maintaining the tank.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieAlum http:///t/395938/fish-quantity-and-type-for-the-55#post_3526440
If you want the added expense of maintaining a tank that stays empty most of the time, that's your option. My logic is if a fish has signs of stress, it's most likely going to die anyway. You can spend more money trying to treat a fish, when you can simply let it run its course and buy a replacement if it dies. Most aquarist who maintain small tanks that are 55 and under, don't put $40+ fish in them. Corals can get pricey, but most of those don't last but a year or so due to the confines of a small tank, unless you spend an awful amount of time maintaining the tank.
Hello,
Welcome to the site.
....you don't just quarantine a new fish to take care of it if it's sick. You do it so the already healthy fish in the display, can stay that way. One sick fish can wipe out the entire tank of critters.
$40.00 worth of fish???? One fish costs that much or more. back when I had a 55g tank, my flame angel cost $119.00. Flame angels don't cost that much now, they are a bit easier to get than back in the day. At the moment I have potbelly seahorses that cost $145.00 each...add the $40.00 shipping, I paid plenty. A quarantine is never a waste of time or money.
Your comment of "buy a replacement if it dies" seriously???? I don't know about you, but I happen to like my little sea friends enough to at least try and save them. If your corals never last longer then a year, you are doing something wrong. I know folks who have had the same corals for over 20 years. In the ocean, many sea creatures can out live humans. Your last line hit the nail on the head...Yes, we do spend quite a bit of our time maintaining our tanks....It's just the way we aquarium hobbyists roll.

tthemadd1

I really enjoy the rose bubble tip anemones. The color is amazing when they dial into the tank. I currently have five and they are almost 5" in diameter now.
Get a couple good fish to start and see where this hobby takes you. Most likely in a few years your tank size will double and you will be keeping sps corals like many here. It's an addiction that you must feed. Take your time and enjoy the hobby. That's the point when it becomes a second job open a store front and start the kids on it near the school. LOL.

aggiealum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/395938/fish-quantity-and-type-for-the-55#post_3526468
Hello,
Welcome to the site.
....you don't just quarantine a new fish to take care of it if it's sick. You do it so the already healthy fish in the display, can stay that way. One sick fish can wipe out the entire tank of critters.
$40.00 worth of fish???? One fish costs that much or more. back when I had a 55g tank, my flame angel cost $119.00. Flame angels don't cost that much now, they are a bit easier to get than back in the day. At the moment I have potbelly seahorses that cost $145.00 each...add the $40.00 shipping, I paid plenty. A quarantine is never a waste of time or money.
Your comment of "buy a replacement if it dies" seriously???? I don't know about you, but I happen to like my little sea friends enough to at least try and save them. If your corals never last longer then a year, you are doing something wrong. I know folks who have had the same corals for over 20 years. In the ocean, many sea creatures can out live humans. Your last line hit the nail on the head...Yes, we do spend quite a bit of our time maintaining our tanks....It's just the way we aquarium hobbyists roll.
None of the fish that are currently in my tank costs me over $25. If you really cared about your "sea friends", you wouldn't capture them and stick them in a small glass environment in the first place. Once you establish the proper amount of livestock to match the bio-load for the size of the tank you're maintaining, there's no need to add any additional fish that could potentially harm the existing fish in your tank. If what you say about the lifespan of your fish is true, then why are you adding more fish than is recommended for the size of tank you're maintaining? In all the years I've had tanks, I've never QTed any inverts or corals I've added to my tank, and never experienced any of my fish from catching some fatal disease. Am I just lucky, or is the QT procedure just a myth?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieAlum http:///t/395938/fish-quantity-and-type-for-the-55#post_3526488
None of the fish that are currently in my tank costs me over $25. If you really cared about your "sea friends", you wouldn't capture them and stick them in a small glass environment in the first place. Once you establish the proper amount of livestock to match the bio-load for the size of the tank you're maintaining, there's no need to add any additional fish that could potentially harm the existing fish in your tank. If what you say about the lifespan of your fish is true, then why are you adding more fish than is recommended for the size of tank you're maintaining? In all the years I've had tanks, I've never QTed any inverts or corals I've added to my tank, and never experienced any of my fish from catching some fatal disease. Am I just lucky, or is the QT procedure just a myth?
Hi,
I'm going to say that you are just lucky.
I didn't capture my sea friends, I purchased captive bred seahorses...actually helping by NOT purchasing wild caught.
You are a bit of a snot aren't you? Who is adding more fish then the tank can handle? LOL...most of us go buy a larger tank, and quite a few of us have more then one tank. Nobody adds all the fish they want at once, we quarantine a new fish as we are stocking the tank the first time after the tank is past the first cycle. That is what the original poster and other folks were talking about, and you jumped in with how dumb they are for wanting to quarantine...or did I misunderstand you?
I'm delighted you don't have anything in your tank worth more then $25.00, since you believe in no quarantine, and just let them die and then replace them.
When you have kept fish for over 40 years as I have, you will have earned the right to say "in all the years I've kept fish" To be honest, I seldom lose a fish, because I have always, since I was a teenager, select healthy specimens to start with from reputable breeders. In those 40+ years, I can count on one hand the times I have had to heal, or spend money on remedies for a sick fish.
I don't, and have never quarantined an invert or coral. However I would never bash any of the folks who do...ICH is a grief to get rid of, and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Belittling folks for taking that extra cautious step does not make you bigger and better, it's just unnecessary meanness.
You just joined the forum, and I would like to see you stay. You might consider being little less combative. It's as if you're just looking for an argument, which I hope is not the case.