fish selection from store

noah's nemo

Well,i haven't been around here in some time,but i remember when the fish store had a much wider selection of fish..Looks like they just have a lot of the more common fish carried by every site,and really,not even some of the more common...

btldreef

I think they now only list what they currently have in stock.
I do know that they usually can order what you want if you call them.

S

saxman

What you're seeing actually isn't all that uncommon. With the economy being what it is, many places are sticking to the "meat and potato" type species, as they will typically sell more easily. Hardly anyone is carrying anything interesting...ya know, like stingfish, waspfish, scorps, or the rarer lions.

gemmy

What you're seeing actually isn't all that uncommon. With the economy being what it is, many places are sticking to the "meat and potato" type species, as they will typically sell more easily. Hardly anyone is carrying anything interesting...ya know, like stingfish, waspfish, scorps, or the rarer lions.
I know this all to well. I'm breaking down my future waspish tank in order to make room for a new tank. I'm bummed I don't get to do the tank I originally wanted.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/388161/fish-selection-from-store#post_3421466
I agree... fish stores just can't afford to keep the rarer fish because it'll take a lot longer for them to sell... on the other hand, they will ALWAYS, I mean ALWAYS, be able to sell an ocellaris clowfish!

aquaknight

To disagree a bit, it seems like on the really upper end of the hobby, the fish are still reasonably popular, and the prices have dropped. Good example is the white cap goby, formerly a $1000 fish, is now for sale for only $279. Blueline angels have been quite popular recently.
But away from the big budget collector level fish, definitely agree. Cool, interesting fish are rare these days. I don't think I've seen a Butterfly I would be interested in, in several months... I'd be willing to bet, a lot of the lack of supply, stems from the front-side of the chain, rather then the stores/retailers (the tail end). I'd bet there are much less people out there today, collecting these fish, for 2¢-3¢ each, then before. Those that are left, are probably larger operations, that do focus on those "bread and butter" fish, rather then out exploring for the oddball fish.

noah's nemo

I'm not even really looking for rare or oddball fish..I looking to get a sargassum trigger,an annularis angel or french angel(maybe both) and an Immaculatus Puffer or black dogface puffer soon.....

S

saxman

I agree... fish stores just can't afford to keep the rarer fish because it'll take a lot longer for them to sell... on the other hand, they will ALWAYS, I mean ALWAYS, be able to sell an ocellaris clowfish! 

Just not to ol' saxman, considering my opinion of clownfish...

stdreb27

I dunno, I rarely see interesting fish at the LFS. I've always had to order stuff that I wanted.