Fish suggestions for a 72 gal FOWLR?

kaz1961

Hi all,
Just joined the sight and am looking for help picking tankmates for my 72 gal FOWLR tank. I have had saltwater tanks in the past but havent had one in a few years. In the past I had compatibility problems and I really want to avoid that and do it right this time around. I want to have small peaceful hardy fish with lots of color and who are easy to care for. These are the fish I have on my potential list:
Butterfly - are any of them hardy?
Dwarf angel - would like a flame but I have been reading that they are tough to keep.
Valentini Puffer - not colorful but I always liked them and had luck keeping them.
Firefish - Nice color and seem hardy and peaceful.
Clownfish - What type would be best?
Tang - small yellow or hippo?
Royal dottyback
Royal Gramma
Yellow watchman Goby
Any compatibility problems with types on this list? I know I dont have enough room for all of them and I would not get them all at once just throwing them out there as potential tankmates. Any comments and opinions on these fish and any others that fit the bill would be appreciated. TIA

deejeff442

i never had a butterfly .the royals can get aggressive if you dont have alot of rockwork.a tang would be pushing it for that size tank but if they are 1-1 1/2 inch i would say ok.firefish like to jump so eggcrate the top .perc clowns are mellow.maroons can be nasty .goby nees at least a two inch sand bed.over all they could work its alot of fish though for that sized tank.
the more rock work you have the better the chances of success.

S

siptang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1961 http:///forum/thread/385021/fish-suggestions-for-a-72-gal-fowlr#post_3374981
Hi all,
Just joined the sight and am looking for help picking tankmates for my 72 gal FOWLR tank. I have had saltwater tanks in the past but havent had one in a few years. In the past I had compatibility problems and I really want to avoid that and do it right this time around. I want to have small peaceful hardy fish with lots of color and who are easy to care for. These are the fish I have on my potential list:
Butterfly - are any of them hardy?
Dwarf angel - would like a flame but I have been reading that they are tough to keep.
Valentini Puffer - not colorful but I always liked them and had luck keeping them.
Firefish - Nice color and seem hardy and peaceful.
Clownfish - What type would be best?
Tang - small yellow or hippo?
Royal dottyback
Royal Gramma
Yellow watchman Goby
Any compatibility problems with types on this list? I know I dont have enough room for all of them and I would not get them all at once just throwing them out there as potential tankmates. Any comments and opinions on these fish and any others that fit the bill would be appreciated. TIA
Butterflys are difficult to keep. Trick is getting them to eat and would recommend adding this fish first to settle and have them eating.
(I would recommend raccoon because of it's hardiness and it's appetite for aptasias.
Flame angel is a beautiful fish and like the butterfly, key is getting them to eat. They also require the best water condition so check your parameter frequently.
Valenti Puffer was actually one of my starting fish in this hobby. Loved the personality. (it ate off my hands)
Firefish - good fish and deejeff said, they jump so make sure your top is covered.
tang - yellow tang is an excellent choice. (Some say hippo needs bigger tank but I heard mixed opinions about it...
Royal dottyback (kind of like psedo and gamma are going to fight. Usually gamma will lose and die eventually. )
Goby - be sure to introduce him prior to dottyback and is settled and keep an eye on the dottyback because it will pick on it.
maroon clown may get nasty with age because they get very territorial however, I prefer their color and I had better luck with them then percula. (may become the alpha fish in this tank)
hope this helps.

srfisher17

There are several hardy butterfly fish Raccoon, Auriga, others. They, and the flame angel should be several months down the road---they both do better with plenty of MATURE LR for grazing.Many Dwarf Angels are quite easy, in a mature tank. IMO, your tank is too small for a yellow tang and WAY too small for a HIppo. I'd get a pair of clowns; they are one of the few fish we can keep in pairs and there bonded behavior is great to watch. If you get two juvis, they almost always become a bonded pair. Larger clowns, like maroons, tomato, etc, will become very territorial and claim as big an area as they can. Starting with juvis prevents them from claiming the whole tank.. A Royal Gramma and a similar dottyback will lead to having only the dottyback. Most (not all) dottybacks are very aggressive, but great fish.

kaz1961

Thanks for the replys! Just waiting for my RO/DI to arrive from BRS and I can get this tank going. I am going to start with some live sand and cured live rock. I am them thinking of adding fish in this order (slowly over time of course):
Valentini puffer
Pair of Ocellaris clowns
Royal Gramma
Fire fish
Racoon butterfly
Flame Angel
Does that order sound right? Is this about all this size tank can handle with LR/LS?

S

siptang

looks good to me as well...
How about adding a red corris wrass? I have one of those in my 72 gal bow front and she's beautiful and very peaceful and VERY colorful.
I think yellow tang is ok for 72 gal tank. I had to get rid of mine because it was getting picked on really bad...

srfisher17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///forum/thread/385021/fish-suggestions-for-a-72-gal-fowlr#post_3375578
looks good to me as well...
How about adding a red corris wrass? I have one of those in my 72 gal bow front and she's beautiful and very peaceful and VERY colorful.
I think yellow tang is ok for 72 gal tank. I had to get rid of mine because it was getting picked on really bad...
A red coris can get over a foot long. IMO, you won't find many hobbyists who agree that either the red coris or the YT belong in a 72 bowfront tank.

S

siptang

Wow really? Holy crap after googling, you are right.
My lfs told me that 4-5" inch is max that it will grow and that I just need 2-3" of sand inside the tank...
she was at 2.75" when I bought her and grew up to 4" but stopped growing for couple of years... i guess I stunted her growth too... jeez...
This is what I get for just listening to lfs guys and not googling extensively...

srfisher17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///forum/thread/385021/fish-suggestions-for-a-72-gal-fowlr#post_3375626
Wow really? Holy crap after googling, you are right.
My lfs told me that 4-5" inch is max that it will grow and that I just need 2-3" of sand inside the tank...
she was at 2.75" when I bought her and grew up to 4" but stopped growing for couple of years... i guess I stunted her growth too... jeez...
This is what I get for just listening to lfs guys and not googling extensively...
Yeah, I can remember when the LFS was a great source of info; sadly, that is seldom the case anymore (IMO). The internet is a great, source of info; but the secret is sorting out all the conflicting answers. I'd suggest you get a copy of Scott Michael's book (pocket size) 'Marine Fishes"-----cheap at Amazon. IMO, it is fairly accurate,with its tank size suggestions.