Fish suggestions

npbstlr43

Hello. Just looking for some feedback. I currently have a 30 gal reef tank. I have a black and an orange oc clown, a few corals and some snails and hermits. As I am limited to the quantity of fish I can add to this tank, I would like as much color as possible. I'm thinking a fire fish, a royal gramma, a yellow tail blue damsel, possibly a wrasse and yellow watchman goby. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Bryce E

Might be too many fish if you're trying to add them all. I'd watch out for the damsel in a small tank especially if there are a lot of inhabitants. The yellowtail is a little more docile of a damsel. But its still a damsel and can be a jerk for its size. I like your choices though. I just got a firefish not long ago and have a royal gramma on the way. Also have the same clown as you.. lol

npbstlr43

Might be too many fish if you're trying to add them all. I'd watch out for the damsel in a small tank especially if there are a lot of inhabitants. The yellowtail is a little more docile of a damsel. But its still a damsel and can be a jerk for its size. I like your choices though. I just got a firefish not long ago and have a royal gramma on the way. Also have the same clown as you.. lol
Thanks for the input....I figure I may not be able to get them all, trying to stick with the smallest fish and trying to get the most effect in the tank as I can without jeopardizing the stability. It's difficult because there are so many beautiful fish....I want them all! LOL ...I love all of the clown fish, but I definitely have a HUGE soft spot for the black one!

jay0705

i have all the fish u listed lol. The wrasse could be iffy unless u go w maybe a possum wrasse. The others can get edgy in a smaller tank

pegasus

That combination might work, but there could be a little tension between the YTD and the RG. I'd suggest adding all but the YTD, and see how they get along. Once every one has settled in, then see if you think there's enough room left for the damsel. If added last, it may not bully the others. No guarantees on that, though. My YTD tested everyone in the tank before it settled down. They can be PITA's...

Can firefish, wrasses, and yellow tails co-exist? Why yes... yes they can. IF you have plenty of space.
20150321_100430.jpg

Last edited:

npbstlr43

That combination might work, but there could be a little tension between the YTD and the RG. I'd suggest adding all but the YTD, and see how they get along. Once every one has settled in, then see if you think there's enough room left for the damsel. If added last, it may not bully the others. No guarantees on that, though. My YTD tested everyone in the tank before it settled down. They can be PITA's...

Can firefish, wrasses, and yellow tails co-exist? Why yes... yes they can. IF you have plenty of space.View attachment 1063[/QUOTE

I know the YTD are temperamental. I am on the same page as far as adding him last. Thanks!!

jay0705

Very cool that you have all the same! Thanks for your input!
The yellow watchman and fire share a cave. The 6line wrasse doesn't bother a thing. Now my gramma is in my 75 w various fish np. The ytd is w other shell I say fish that can handle there own lol maroon clown, sunrise dotty back, spotted mandarin and scooter blenny. Now the mandy and scooter are very passive. Honestly the only fish that shows aggression is the dotty back. Reef safe my ass, he whacked a skunk cleaner!!! Hence why he is no longer in the big tank. Very pretty fish tho. Lol

pegasus

The yellow watchman and fire share a cave. The 6line wrasse doesn't bother a thing. Now my gramma is in my 75 w various fish np. The ytd is w other shell I say fish that can handle there own lol maroon clown, sunrise dotty back, spotted mandarin and scooter blenny. Now the mandy and scooter are very passive. Honestly the only fish that shows aggression is the dotty back. Reef safe my ass, he whacked a skunk cleaner!!! Hence why he is no longer in the big tank. Very pretty fish tho. Lol
My neon dottyback and YTD had a few encounters, but now they don't bother each other. My dottyback kept attacking a new peppermint shrimp that I had move from the fuge (ate all the aiptasia there) to the main DT so it could eat the aiptasia in it. After about 15 minutes of attacking the poor shrimp, I had to move the shrimp to the smaller tank. The dottyback doesn't tolerate any newcomers to the tank. It was the final addition to the main DT, and will apparently be the last...

jay0705

Yea I don't get it. There suppose to be reef safe. My purple pseudo doesn't bother any shrimp.