Fish tank vs. Reptile tank

ive heard horror stories of water into reptile tanks, so how can you tell the difference? i got a free 55g tank and trying to figure out how to tell? just fill it with water and see what happens?

ill try to find the thread where dude sliced his hand open filling up a tank. but i assume the only difference could be the thickness of the glass. how thick is the glass of a standard 55g?

crypt keeper

he wants to know if the tank he has in an aquarium turned reptile cage or was it a reptile cage to begin with. There is a huge difference. I believe the thickness is 1/4 inch vs 1/8.
Look under it and to see if you can located a tab. Post pictures of tank.

its dirty from sitting in a garage, ill wipe off what i can then let it soak with some vinehar and a few modded mj 1200s, and i only found one sticker/tab, but the tank is pretty heavy so im assuming its the thicker of the 2.

T

tfolke1

Thats the most talented Chameleon that I have ever seen. I can't even see him.
(I think the stick on temp guages are only used for water?) which would indicate its an aquarium.

ca161406

i'd say fish.
most reptile tanks dont have the center brace and have the trim of one side on the top missing so you can slide on the screen top

culp

you should still fill it up with water to make sure it does not leak.
i have a story about Reptile tanks. for my birthday my brother bought a used tank for that and he was told that it was a 75 gallon tank but wasn't told if it was a reptile tank or aquarium so he filled it up with water in his second story apartment and after getting it almost filled with water the tank blew up and water went everywhere. lets just say that the people who lived below him was not vary happy.

flower

Didn't anybody notice the thermometer on the tank. It was used before for fish. LOL
Never mind I see tfolke1 did notice.

People who have reptiles also need to keep an eye on temp inside the cage too, so the thermometer on the tank mite have been for that. I had reptiles. but that does look like a fish tank.