fish that like to cruise in schools???

F

fonzoner

i was trying to figure out what family of fish i could add to my tank possibly as a school that would enjoy cruising around all day. i have a few in there now but they mainly just hangout in certain spots.i was looking for something that wouldalways be on the go but ot get to large and out grow my tank ina yrs time?

kcobain111

Sometimes fish aren't moving around because they don't like the water flow in some area of the tank. Like i had a dead spot for a while and my clows lived in a 1foot by 1 foot area till i fixed it.
i know i didn't answer you question but might help with the one's you have now

guineawhop

there are lots of schooling fish such as tangs but since you do not have a big enough tank to support even one tang you should get something like damsels...they are a schooling fish

zoocrazy

if you get about ten chromis they should school and they are small enough they would be fine in you rtank!

guineawhop

55 is too small for a porkfish they get almost 16 inches, like i said damsels really is the way to go, which includes chromis's

O

osufarker

Originally posted by zoocrazy
if you get about ten chromis they should school and they are small enough they would be fine in you rtank!

I agree with the chromis, but I would not put 10 in a 55, that is a lot of bio load. I would not add more than 6. I have seen some pretty big chromis.

F

fonzoner

thanks for the thoughts.i was just over at the lfs n noticed they had a large amount of green chromis that stayed in schools n moved about .i was thinkin about gettin about 5 of them. i couldnt see putting 10 in at once.thats a lil over kill.but thanks again!

teresaq

i agree with the blue-green chromis, they like odd number groups. I have 3 and plan on adding 2 more.

1968oldsma

do damsels school? I am going to pick up a 150 gallon tank in the next few weeks and i havent decided what fish i would like to put in it. I would love a lttle school of fish in there. I dont know what i'm going to do i might change my mind as i'm going to be doing this within the next year or so. It's going to be expensive so i'm just going to part this together nice and slow i'm in no rush and me and my fiancee want to save up for the wedding and just piece the tank together over the next year or so. oh jeeez listen to me rant...lol

ross

No, damsels dont school. They will just fight and kill each other. Green chromis will school and they are peaceful. There pretty cool!

zoocrazy

Originally posted by guineawhop
55 is too small for a porkfish they get almost 16 inches, like i said damsels really is the way to go, which includes chromis's

but adding only 6 they may not school, w/ 10 your almost garunteed they will. fish will not show their schooling behavior unless they actually feel like they are in a ''school''.

promisetbg

Chromis will school when young,but in an aquarium as they age they will begin to pick each other off...until there is only one left.

fishy411

i don tknow if this si true but i have heard that if u keep chromis in an even numbered school they will kill each other off to have an odd numbered school. A lot of schooling fish dont school in the aquarium because i think they only school when there is danger around and if there is no danger they dont need to school

guineawhop

Originally posted by Ross
No, damsels dont school. They will just fight and kill each other. Green chromis will school and they are peaceful. There pretty cool!

haha you realize that chromis's are part of the damsel family