fish trap instructions??

fedukeford

i have a royal dottyback in my 125 reef that is terrorizing all the fish, and has already killed 4 pepermint shrimp. does anybody have some good instructions for a DIY fish trap?

tankyou

You can try cutting the top off a two liter soda bottle, inverting the top and stuffing it back in the bottom. I have had considerable luck rounding up a plague of pistol shrimps which rode in on my LR with this method and once caught my watchman goby.
:thinking: Knowing from hard experience shrimp seem to enrage this particular genus, bating it with a live feeder shrimp of some sort might lure him in.

O

oreo12

I tried cuting some slits in a 2 litter bottel one larger one folding the plasti into the bottel then puting food into it in the tank I caught every fish except the one I was after. good luck

anonome

I bought a "fish trap" off the internet to catch my yellow pseudochromis...did the same thing, ate all my shrimp. I got it on E..y. Did the trick, I think it was $8.99 plus shipping. Best money spent. I unfortunately, after catching everything I didn't want to catch at first with live brine shrimp....I had to bait the trap with a live cleaner, nothing seemed to work. I tried brine, mysis, and bloodworms all live. I bought a small cleaner shrimp, :scared: I know I will get flamed big time for this, but it worked. Only thing else was to take the tank apart, and stress the other fish out , I was not willing to do this.
By the way, I did research this fish first.....nothing was said that it may eat ornamental shrimp. Mine sure did. Everything was positive on how it was the perfect reef safe fish, would go after bristleworms....HA! LOL! Never touched them. Only the shrimp.
Only, after the fact of eating the first shrimp did I do a search on pseudochromis' and shrimp did it pop up with the potential to do just that. So when they say to research.......they mean really
research!!!

fedukeford

i finally caught the fish a couple weeks ago. i go a piece of plexi glass to divide the tank, trapped the dottyback into a corner, put the plexi glass in, took out all the rock, and netted him!