Fish traps in the wild

bayoubasin

I am new to SW tanks. I had FW tanks for years when younger. I live on the Gulfcoast of FL, and I would like to catch fish from the wild, but am not a SCUBA person. Has anyone had success with a fish trap set out and left for a day or so? If so what type? Where did you get them, or how did you build them?
Bayoubasin

ophiura

Originally Posted by bayoubasin
I am new to SW tanks. I had FW tanks for years when younger. I live on the Gulfcoast of FL, and I would like to catch fish from the wild, but am not a SCUBA person. Has anyone had success with a fish trap set out and left for a day or so? If so what type? Where did you get them, or how did you build them?
Bayoubasin
It is imperative that you look into whether this is legal. There are restrictions in how to catch live fish. Make sure you have your permit, etc, and know what you can take :yes: That's the first place to start.
As an aside FYI (the question often comes up), it is also important to know that in most if not all of Florida, collection of LR is illegal.
Finally, I always add the disclaimer that, IMO, only catch what you can keep. You should never catch something, keep it, and then release it. This is especially true if you keep it with animals from the Pacific that you buy at the LFS. It may introduce parasites, etc, that can be introduced to the wild, and also puts that animals you kept at tremendous disadvantage (they have to figure out how to become wild fish again :) ).

bayoubasin

yes, I had read your replies regarding catching only what you will keep, and the issues of comingling species from different bodies of water, thank you. Still have seen or heard of such traps?

ophiura

I've made a small trap for use in a large tank, but never tried one out in the open. :notsure: The basic thing I did was to create a "heart trap" using some heavy plastic mesh (wish I had a source, it was available where I worked) and zip tied it all together. Basically had two square pieces, and then a long narrower strip. I cable tied the edge of this in a heart shape on the bottom square. Then I cable tied on the top piece. Tie some food in it. The fish will swim into the opening in the top of the heart trap, but then try and follow the sides to get out (and not being able to do it). That is the only type I have built. Did it work? No, but I didn't deploy it long. I tried googling it and there is stuff out there.
It does give me an opportunity to do another fantastic drawing, to compliment my famous "soda bottle shrimp trap" drawing.

fuax

bayoubasin I am a retired Fla Deputy Sheriff (part of my time was on the Sheriff's Marine unit . You can not put out personal traps to catch tropicals. I have a website addy for you as well as a cut and paste that I took from the FWC web site.
http://myfwc.com/marine/recreational/recharvestmls.htm
Home : Marine Fisheries Management : Regulations : Tropical - Ornamental Aquarium Species :
(Rule 68B-42, F.A.C.)
CORAL Q & A
The following are summarized recreational harvesting regulations for popular tropical-ornamental aquarium species.
License Requirement: A Florida recreational saltwater fishing license (resident or non-resident, whichever is applicable).
Closed Seasons: None.
Closed Areas: The harvest of these species is generally allowed wherever recreational fishing is allowed. However, the harvest of marine life species or the use of the gear allowed to take these species may be limited or prohibited in state or federal parks, national wildlife refuges, and portions of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. Interested persons should contact those park areas for further information.
Prohibited Species: All harvest is prohibited of the following species:
Live rock, Bahama starfish (Oreaster reticulatis), longspine urchin (Diadema antillarum), Venus sea fan (Gorgonia flabellum), common sea fan (Gorgonia ventalina), any hard or stony coral (Order Scleractinia), or any fire coral (Genus Millepora).
Allowable Harvesting Gear:
Hand Collection.
"Hand held net," means a landing or dip net, except that a portion of the bag may be constructed of clear plastic material, rather than mesh.
"Barrier net," also known as a "fence net," means a seine used beneath the surface of the water by a diver to enclose and concentrate tropical fish and which may be made of either nylon or monofilament.
"Drop net," means a small, usually circular, net with weights attached along the outer edge and a single float in the center, used by a diver to enclose and concentrate tropical fish.
"Slurp gun" means a self-contained, handheld device that captures tropical fish by rapidly drawing seawater containing such fish into a closed chamber.
Size Limits:
NAME MIN. SIZE LIMIT MAX. SIZE LIMIT
Gray angelfish 1½ 8”
French angelfish 1½ 8”
Blue angelfish 1¾ 8”
Queen angelfish 1¾ 8”
Rock beauty angelfish 2 5”
Butterflyfishes 1 4”
Gobies None 2”
Jawfishes None 4”
Porkfish 1 ½” None
Spanish hogfish 2” 8”
Cuban (spotfin) hogfish 3” 8”

bayoubasin

Got it, thanks. I did go online and did a search for fish traps, there are quite a few available from many different materials. and for trapping many different sizes of fish. There is also a good DIY design with a 2 liter bottle for use in an acquarium, and I could see that design being used in calm open waters. such as lagoons and bayous. Thanks again.

ghoti

I also live on Gulf Coast, but I am Scuba certified. The link provided above gives the best guidance on tropical collection in Florida. You should also check w/ local office to see if there are any areas with collection restrictions (Usually State Parks or Rec Areas)
I plan on doing most of my collection in about 40 - 60' of water with slurp gun or nets.
Maybe we can work out something? ;-)

bayoubasin

Originally Posted by Fuax
bayoubasin I am a retired Fla Deputy Sheriff (part of my time was on the Sheriff's Marine unit . You can not put out personal traps to catch tropicals. I have a website addy for you as well as a cut and paste that I took from the FWC web site.
http://myfwc.com/marine/recreational/recharvestmls.htm
Home : Marine Fisheries Management : Regulations : Tropical - Ornamental Aquarium Species :
(Rule 68B-42, F.A.C.)
CORAL Q & A
The following are summarized recreational harvesting regulations for popular tropical-ornamental aquarium species.
License Requirement: A Florida recreational saltwater fishing license (resident or non-resident, whichever is applicable).
Closed Seasons: None.
Closed Areas: The harvest of these species is generally allowed wherever recreational fishing is allowed. However, the harvest of marine life species or the use of the gear allowed to take these species may be limited or prohibited in state or federal parks, national wildlife refuges, and portions of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. Interested persons should contact those park areas for further information.
Prohibited Species: All harvest is prohibited of the following species:
Live rock, Bahama starfish (Oreaster reticulatis), longspine urchin (Diadema antillarum), Venus sea fan (Gorgonia flabellum), common sea fan (Gorgonia ventalina), any hard or stony coral (Order Scleractinia), or any fire coral (Genus Millepora).
Allowable Harvesting Gear:
Hand Collection.
"Hand held net," means a landing or dip net, except that a portion of the bag may be constructed of clear plastic material, rather than mesh.
"Barrier net," also known as a "fence net," means a seine used beneath the surface of the water by a diver to enclose and concentrate tropical fish and which may be made of either nylon or monofilament.
"Drop net," means a small, usually circular, net with weights attached along the outer edge and a single float in the center, used by a diver to enclose and concentrate tropical fish.
"Slurp gun" means a self-contained, handheld device that captures tropical fish by rapidly drawing seawater containing such fish into a closed chamber.
Size Limits:
NAME MIN. SIZE LIMIT MAX. SIZE LIMIT
Gray angelfish 1½ 8”
French angelfish 1½ 8”
Blue angelfish 1¾ 8”
Queen angelfish 1¾ 8”
Rock beauty angelfish 2 5”
Butterflyfishes 1 4”
Gobies None 2”
Jawfishes None 4”
Porkfish 1 ½” None
Spanish hogfish 2” 8”
Cuban (spotfin) hogfish 3” 8”
This is an excellent reply, thank you. How is it that anglers commonly use pin fish and minnow traps to capture live bait prior to going fishing, I thought that was legal. If I get the jest of this, it means it is okay to trap these fishes , pins and minnows, for anglers, but if in the process you trap illegal fish with these devices they should be released, is this correct?

fuax

minnows are fresh water bait fish, pin fish are usually caught on a very small hook.
I can not explain why as I dont know why they made the law the way they did.
But what I posted is specific to ornamental aquarium fish that is just the tip of the law you should really check out the link I posted if you havent alrdy but I am pretty sure that you have.
It goes in depth as to what speices fall into this catagory from fish to corals to plants.
Wish I had more info for you on the subject.
I can speculate that one of the reasons for this law is that in the late 80's to mid 90's when sw aquariums really started to boom ppl where harvesting tropicals like crazy from the florida reefs using any means they could. So the law was set to prevent the depletion of the tropicals from the reefs. I worked in a pet store in high school and we had divers in the store everyday trying to sell us their catch but we could not buy because they where not liscenced commercial fisherman.

bayoubasin

Originally Posted by ghoti
I also live on Gulf Coast, but I am Scuba certified. The link provided above gives the best guidance on tropical collection in Florida. You should also check w/ local office to see if there are any areas with collection restrictions (Usually State Parks or Rec Areas)
I plan on doing most of my collection in about 40 - 60' of water with slurp gun or nets.
Maybe we can work out something? ;-)
ghoti contact me at pross1@sbcglobal , bayou