Fish with Cloudy Eye

sac10918

Hi All
My B&W saddleback clownfish has one cloudy eye that I just noticed this morning. He appears healthy other than the eye and is eating fine. I cleaned the tank two days ago and stirred up a bit of debris and im wondering if maybe something irritated his eye. Is it a bacterial infection, or maybe fungal? SHould I watch and wait? I do not have a QT set up, as I have had this fish for years and I havent added anythign new to my tank for a while. If I do need to treat him with antibiotics, can those be added to the tank? Its a 25 gal reef tank with another B&W clown, shrimps, hermits, and corals.
Thanks for any reply
~Lauren

kingsmith

Sounds like some sort of infection due to injury, good water quality and a varied diet supplemented with vitamins should be fine to fix him up

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, this is a common occurrence following tank maintenance.
Do small water changes daily over the next week. Start feeding the fish food soaked in fresh garlic juice. Take a look at the info on garlic in the FAQ Thread.

sac10918

Thanks for both of your replies. I will do some small water changes daily, and I will also continue to feed garlic soaked food. Thanks for your help.
His eye does look cloudy-er now that I have gotten home. Its almost opaque over the whole eye. Is there a point where I might need to get more concerned, and treat him with antibiotics?
Thanks again
Lauren

sepulatian

Originally Posted by sac10918
http:///forum/post/3120537
Thanks for both of your replies. I will do some small water changes daily, and I will also continue to feed garlic soaked food. Thanks for your help.
His eye does look cloudy-er now that I have gotten home. Its almost opaque over the whole eye. Is there a point where I might need to get more concerned, and treat him with antibiotics?
Thanks again
Lauren
If the eye is bulging out then you will need to treat with meds. Add a rotation of Vitachem and Zoecon to the food also. It will clear right up.

sac10918

Hi guys
Okay, so the eye is still cloudy, but I have another issue now. My same clown has light brown spots that are visible on his white stripes. They almost look like freckles, in the sense that they are light brown, flush to the scales (i.e not raised), and spotted looking.
I havent added anythign to my tank in 6 weeks or so (did add a few soft corals without QT, but it was 6 weeks ago) and everything has been doing good. My other inhabitants are doing well.
Water levels are normal (zero ammonia, zero nitrite, temp 78-80 degrees, SG of 1.025, pH of 8). The only thing I havent tested for is nitrate.
Clown is active and eating and seems "healthy". I have been guilty of not feeding a variety of foods in the past few months (i.e mostly high quality pellets but not many other varieties) but I have been feeding frozen foods with fresh garlic juice for the past few days.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
~Lauren

sac10918

Hey Beth
His spots look similar, maybe a lighter brown. However, I don't have an anemone and I he doesnt host a coral either....