fish?????

I have ordered invertabrates from this site and they have done just fine but I was wondering about fish? Has anyone ever ordered fish from here? Good or Bad experience? I was going to order 2 bangaii cardinals. Thanks in advance for the help.

ebeckels

i am pretty sure that they get their fish from the philipines. I asked them about this in an email. They read it and never wrote back. They write back to everything else I ask! So i am assuming that they get fish from the philipines, (for anyone not understanding why this is bad, it's because most fisherman/woman use cyanide to bring the fish to the surface.) It's dirt cheap to buy these fish for the wholesaler, that's why they can offer the 6 day guarantee. Corals and inverts. are ok as far as i know. I've gotten a hippo tang and a gold stripe maroon...both died after 5 days. I got credit for the fish and just recieved some shrooms, a cleaner shrimp and a blue starfish. Anyways...i'm just speculating here again...I think they sell fish from the philipines.

javajoe

I cant speak for SWF.com, but i know what you are talkinga bout with the philipines.. i saw a thing on one of the Discovery Science channel about that- it is illegal there to do it, but it is still happening... there is a group that is trying to start a change by educating fishermen of other, safer ways to catch fish... they are also specifically targeting children with conservation education- they figure that if they can train them when they are young, maybe they can at least raise a generation of 'safe' fishermen/women....
It was pretty interesting.... i guess with the cyanide method of fishing, about 2/3 of the fish they DO catch die- but they are taking so many this way, they don't 'think' this is hurting anything.

wrigley11

The true problem with cyanide in fish gather is that the cyanide never leaves the fishs system. It actually get stored in the tissues of the fish. So guess what, even if the fish lives long enough to hit your the problem never goes away.
These fish usually die when they start eating again. This occurs because the cyanide gets stored in the fat cells and when the fat is converted for energy the cyanide is released into the fishes system again.
Stay away from any fish that was caught using cyanide. There are companies that charge a little more but this is because they buy net caught fish only. Spending a little extra here can save a lot more down the road.
Hope that helps.

sonny

Even if that's true, most Bangai cardinals are captive bred now. They are endangered in the wild, and they breed readily in captivity. You can order them with confidence. Not all fish from the Philippines are cyanide caught either. It is illegal there to use cyanide, but there are some who still use this idiotic method. They are killing the reefs that are supporting them!
Sonny