fishes are dying and death in LFS

rmahnick

This afternoon, I stopped at LFS in Austin, texas. I was shocked and my sick to my stomach when I saw fishes in display, there lots of fishes was heavy breathing and several are dead, and some are float upside. I saw trigger and some aggresive fishes are confined space like 5 inch by 5 inch. and there are no water circulation or flow, just a slight water drain. water is dirty.. I can't belived that store still selling. I really sick and can't handling to come to the store, I can feel the emotion with fishes who suffering for that condition. I can't believed that. There are poor light system, there are dark and no light for fish. amazing me, I still think of fish in LFS since this afternoon. I can't descripction about their condition. I told my wife, I WON'T come and buy stuff.
I wonder how i can report to somebody that LFS nelgicated the fishes.

cjml

Better buisness bureau, local newspaper, frequent visits to that store and express your concerns to the owners where others can hear you...
ML

sepulatian

Originally Posted by cjml
Better buisness bureau, local newspaper, frequent visits to that store and express your concerns to the owners where others can hear you...
ML
Yep, A call to the local DEP or aspca wouldn't hurt either, they will point you in the right direction. They are out to rescue all animals even if they cannot house them. They will let the proper authorities in your area know about it.

jambo

{Personal attacks are not tolerated on SWF.com}
Oh, and sorry about the crappy conditions of the LFS. The best thing to do is contact the management, express your concerns, and not buy anything there until you're satisfied.
Later,
JAM

sepulatian

Originally Posted by JAMBO
Also,
You might want to pick up an English Book. I'm sure it'll be less than $10 at a LUBS. (That's a Local Used Book Store.) You'll learn about exciting subjects like subject-verb agreement, spelling, run-on sentences and verb tense. You may even get to the chapter on punctuation. (Commas vs. Periods-that sort of thing)
In the future, please try to, at least, look over your post. The Preview button is DIRECTLY juxtaposed to the Submit button.
Oh, and sorry about the crappy conditions of the LFS. The best thing to do is contact the management, express your concerns, and not buy anything there until you're satisfied.
Later,
JAM
This was completely not necessary and rude!

1journeyman

Rmahnick, thanks for posting that. What store is it? I was going to Austin next week and had planned on checking out some stores. I'd love to go in and let the manager know what I thought...
Follow up; You obviously feel passionately about this. Call the city, call the ASPCA, tell the manager he has 24 hours before you go to the local paper. Heck... I'm not a huge fan of all the treehuggers at UT but this is the kind of thing they would be great at mobilizing against!

dut

Also,
You might want to pick up an English Book. I'm sure it'll be less than $10 at a LUBS. (That's a Local Used Book Store.) You'll learn about exciting subjects like subject-verb agreement, spelling, run-on sentences and verb tense. You may even get to the chapter on punctuation. (Commas vs. Periods-that sort of thing)
In the future, please try to, at least, look over your post. The Preview button is DIRECTLY juxtaposed to the Submit button.
Later,
JAM

Seeing as you are so concerned with others bettering themselves, I thought I would offer the same help.

You should be able to get it at any local book store in your area.

jambo

I disagree. My post was absolutely necessary. Of the entire post, there were only TWO actual sentences. If everyone on every message forum keeps letting slide this butchering of the English language, then soon it will become commonplace.
Think about how many young people read these threads. Think about how difficult it was to learn to write correctly when you were in middle- and high-school. Lots of young people read these boards. If we allow them to be constantly bombarded with idiocy, then they will start to think it's acceptable to write poorly. We shouldn't just accept it.
Please, if you won't do it for me, do it for the Children.
JAM

rcbruce

I disagree. My post was absolutely necessary. Of the entire post, there were only TWO actual sentences. If everyone on every message forum keeps letting slide this butchering of the English language, then soon it will become commonplace.
Think about how many young people read these threads. Think about how difficult it was to learn to write correctly when you were in middle- and high-school. Lots of young people read these boards. If we allow them to be constantly bombarded with idiocy, then they will start to think it's acceptable to write poorly. We shouldn't just accept it.
Please, if you won't do it for me, do it for the Children.
JAM
I'm sorry, but I don't remember seeing anywhere in here where you were appointed the offical editor/english monitor of SWF.com??????????

We are here to discuss fish and aquarium related topics, not someone's speach or typing skills. As long as there is no profanity or personal attacks, I don't have a problem with the posts. Needless to say, I view both of your posts as personal attacks, so I have a problem with them! :mad:
If you don't care for how someone enters their posts, may I suggest you leave the thread without responding.
Old proverb......."if you can't say something nice, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!"

lion_crazz

JAM, rude, personal attacks WILL NOT be tolerated on Saltwaterfish.com. This is a private forum to discuss saltwater fish and related topics. Please do not use these forums to promote your self-interests. There was no reason to attack rmahnick for his slight grammatical and spelling errors. We all have flaws in life; no one is perfect. Rmahnick should be applauded for caring about the mistreated animals and actually wanting to do something about the situation -not criticized for his slight errors of the English language. If his spelling errors bother you, you do not have to read or respond to his posts. Just move along. There are plenty of other threads that need questions answered and topics responded to. Thank you for your understanding.
Members, instead of fighting with someone who posts an ignorant and inaffable reply such as JAM did, please use the "report a bad post" link at the top. This way, a moderator can take care of the situation and stop it immediately from progressing. The goal here is to keep Saltwaterfish.com a friendly and welcoming forum with an upbeat and positive atmosphere.
Rmahnick, good for you that you care enough to take action! I think the others have provided you with good means in order to do so.

michael_t

Rmahnick,
Which one was it? The one with the dome or a different store?
My friend has had problems with the dome store. When I need something I go to one on Burnet St, but lately they have increased their prices and some of the fish haven't been taken well care of.
I have made all of my recent fish/coral purchases from SWF.com and I have been very happy.
1journeyman, email me when you drive into town. Maybe we can meet up and check out some of the other stores. (Most of them are up north).
Michael

tx reef

I have been to Aqua-Dome and Austin Aquariums. Aqua-Dome was horrible. There were sick fish, dying fish, nasty water, etc....
Austin Aquariums is pretty nice, but they are way over priced.
Let me know if any of you Texas folks want to trade some corals. I live in Temple about 60 miles north of Austin on I-35.

jambo

I is sorry for my rude and apparently inEffable posted. I didnt mean too to hurt nobody. I jest get fedup sometime with grammar of others.

Peace be with ye, and also your LFS.
JAM

rmahnick

Sorry, If I confused you by this fourm, I was tired and hurried when its time was really late. I think about 1 am in the morning, also structure of writing is not my favor subject.
Yes its in Aqua-Dome, first of thing I thought its called Tropical Fish but you are right, Aqua-Dome.
Aqua-Tek on Burnet St. The good LFS and lot of livestocks to choose. but the price is way over.
I bought a 54 watt T5 bulb, 6500k GE, cost me 34 dollars for one piece. :thinking:
Austin Aquarium, I can't think of what I say, there are a little lack of supplies, however, the price is a little way over.
RiverCity Aquarium on roxiar st or ln, (I am not sure which is right) right on north 183 and Anderson Mill road. Small store and nice, There are good price for livestocks, SPS, LPS, and soft coral, reasonable price and almost same as SFW.com price (pair of false occerila for 35.99), That is my opinion. Let you know that they doesn't many livestocks to buy like other store, But they will order for you, there are new livestocks come in the stock every tuesday.
Rivercity is one of my good choice to buy livestock. the second is Aqua-Tek, there are lots of livestock to choose but price is price. I always checking the store to check it out what they have.
Right now, Aquarium is not ready right now, I have second thought due to relocation in a year. I think its not fair to fishes when have to tear it down and move to other place. maybe FOWLR or only water and live rock for display. sometime I am tempation to get ready for aquarium.. :happyfish

michael_t

Yeah, AquaDOOM is terrible. Their skimmers are full of crap, and I am not talking just about the overflow cup but the bubble chamber too. Many of the tanks are covered with Aiptasia and most tanks are connected. You are virtually guaranteed to get one free with every order.
The guy who I got my tank from bought it there and had nothing but trouble from them. I still get my frozen food there but that is only because they are close by.
I haven’t been to the Northwest stores so I can’t comment on them.
I guy I meet at the dog park sells tanks and lights and other misc stuff on line so I buy a lot of that stuff from him, salt, test kits, bulbs, moon light. His email is matt@thehobbypalacedotcom. Good prices. Good business man.
If you haven’t found it, here a local swf club, http://www.austinreefclub.com/forums/.

reefkprz

good luck with the problem most of what every one has said are the best suggestions. but also consider. they might not have anyone that really knows whaty they are doing. I saw something similar in a pet store I sell degus and chinchillas too. I was appaled at the condition of their marine tanks. and talked to the manager. it turned out their only knowledgable help had quit. while One girl was taking a crash course in marine aquaria. I offered suggestions and gave them my number for emergency questions and info. plus pointed out several good rescources for information. their tanks look awesome now. I am proud of the work the girl did. Hope fully its accidental (unlikely) not negligence. and I applaud your concern.
unfortunatly there are very few laws on the books about ethical treatment of fish.

gotfish?

Originally Posted by TX Reef
I have been to Aqua-Dome and Austin Aquariums. Aqua-Dome was horrible. There were sick fish, dying fish, nasty water, etc....
Austin Aquariums is pretty nice, but they are way over priced.
Let me know if any of you Texas folks want to trade some corals. I live in Temple about 60 miles north of Austin on I-35.
I dont really have any corals to trade right now but it is cool that another temple native is on this site. I would be interested in seeing what you have...

tx reef

I have a few softies left (various mushrooms, zoos, ricordeas, etc...).
I am getting into SPS now and have several very nice pieces.