FishTownUSA in Queens NY

geridoc

Been there many times. They tend to have beautiful specimens - I am usually stunned by the quality of their frags. Compared to the larger stores, their selection is only fair, but often exotic. Prices are "reasonable" for NY.

john-nyc

Thanks for the reply. Will they sell complete setups as far as tank, stand, sump, skimmer, lighting as one package or am I better buying pieces myself of components that people recommend on here and set it up myself. Just wondering if they use good equipment or should I get my own higher end equipment from recommendation from people on here.

teen

id buy the tank from them.
buy your skimmer, lights, powerheads and pumps online.
they have good prices on live rock most of the time, so id buy live rock from them.
if you buy fish from them, i would quarantine them.
there corals are usually nice and healthy and at a good price too.
and there sales people are there to make a sale, so ask here before buying anything expenisive. theyll try and talk you into buying a lot of stuff that isnt always neccessary.

john-nyc

Do they have acrylic tanks ? I assume they sell stands also . I guess I should take a ride there this week.
A question on a different note. I want fish with live rock/sand but can I have some corals too if I get the correct fish and lighting or should corals be kept for reef only system.
Reef systems seem so much more colorful than FOWLR

teen

i would do a reef set up and just add some nice reef safe fish.
i think they do sell acrylic, but definetly have more glass tanks. usually at a reasonable price.

augie

Hi John,just wanted to let you know that i purchased all my sw equipment from Fishtown.They have been there many years.If you go ask for the sales guy named mike,he was very good.

augie

I got the tank and stand for free from a friend.I purchased around 85 pounds of uncured live rock for 3.99 a pound.60 lbs. of live sand,proclear wet/dry model 125 filter,aquaclear powerhead (not to happy about that),jbj lighting (4 x 65w),and a corallife skimmer (125),salt test kit.I spent around 1200.00.

john-nyc

Thanks for the info. Looks like the proclear skimmers are crap. Coralife seems much more recommended from people on here.
All going well, no problems so far ?
What pct. you out of ??

teen

thast what i mean by they try to sell you certain things that arent really neccessary. they try talking everyone into wet drys, they talked me into one like 5 years ago and i wish i knew better back then. your better off with just a nice protein skimmer and water changes. not that a wet dry is bad, just if not taken care of properly, it will cause more harm then good. most new hobbyists dont know how to properly care for a wet dry system.

teen

honestly, no.
a good skimmer and some carbon in your overflow will be more effective imo. even with a wet dry, you still need a skimmer.
either way you go, you still need to do water changes.
a wetdry will work good as long as you keep the bioballs clear of debris and you change the media often. its a lot to keep up on, id rather just change the carbon padding in my overflow every few days and add water to my sump for my skimmer. much more easier and less time consuming imo.

john-nyc

Man I'm so confused

Get a bioCube or 75gal with sump or 75gal with good hang on skimmer.
The more I try to figure out what to get the more i'm not going to get anything

I'm gonna end up talking myself out of everything unless I pull the trigger