Fishy Died :(

tinytink84

I've had my tank set up since Dec. 28th, which I know isnt really a long time for this hobby, but all my water levels were PERFECT, My yellow tail damsels were doing awesome, so I decided it was the right time to get a clown fish. Well, the clown lasted about a day and a half. all the water levels are still perfect and the other fish are still good as can be... My boyfriend and I are thinking that since the fish really liked to swim against the stream of water that came out of out power head, that he might have lost control (which he had done before) and slamed into the side of the tank and died... do you think that could have caused it?
The problem that I have is that the spot that he died in, I cant get any net or anything in there to get him out. so the only way I can get it out is to move all my LR and risk smashin one or both of the other fish I have in there or risk stressing them out to the point of death... But my boss, who used to have salt water fish, told me that it is actually benificial to leave the fish in there and let it desolve and let the other fish pick at it.. is this true, or should I move the LR to get it out?
BTW, I'm pretty positive that the Damsels didnt kill the fish. I know they are pretty aggressive as a species, but the damsels really didnt care much that the clown was in there... and they seem to be quite upset about the dead clown, is that normal?

crazy4reefs

IMO i think you should get the dead fish out of there because if you leave him in it will cause a ammonia spike that could kill your other fish..hth

timsedwards

No dont leave the fish in there, it could/will cause an ammonia spike and all hell will break lose. Only in a massive tank with a tiny fish might it not matter.
Very unlikely it died by the power of a powerhead.
More likely that it was stressed and bullied by the damsels, if not when you saw it happen, he will most likely be stressed. Damsels are NOT the most welcoming.
Best of luck, are all your readings perfect? Ammonia/Nitrate/Nitrite/pH/Alk? Damsels are very hardy species and can withstand a lot, Clowns are a bit more sensitive.
Tim.

barry cuda

Originally posted by timsedwards
Damsels are the most welcoming.
Tim.

Tim, I'm going to nitpick here for clarity's sake - you did mean to say NOT the most welcoming, right?