fist saltwater tank need help..

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay0705 http:///t/397768/fist-saltwater-tank-need-help#post_3546815
Flower, the mandys r ok in the cooler water?

With the Kuda or Erectus (74 degrees) I think they would be fine, people keep them with that species all the time. The potbelly...no, 65 degrees is just too cold for any tropical fish to last long, although the peppermint shrimp seem perfectly happy, as for fish, the bat starfish is the only thing in the tank with them.

babyai

O___O wow you have nice tanks! I'm So jelly fish! >.<; and wow you have large tanks! O_O

I might have another stupid question. are sea horses kinda like chameleons in the sense they change there colors depending what there surroundings are like?? or just when they want to attract a mate??

tur4k

You mentioned a desire to breed Mandarins. This probably isn't going to happen. Very few people have successfully bread Mandarins. A mated pair will spawn like crazy, but good luck after that.

Also...I'm not trying to be an ass, but you haven't done enough research if you think that they eat cocopods. The vast majority of Mandarins in captivity starve to death in peoples fish tanks because they can't meet their feeding requirements. Please do the research before purchasing them.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyAi http:///t/397768/fist-saltwater-tank-need-help/20#post_3546831
O___O wow you have nice tanks! I'm So jelly fish! >.<; and wow you have large tanks! O_O

I might have another stupid question. are sea horses kinda like chameleons in the sense they change there colors depending what there surroundings are like?? or just when they want to attract a mate??

Hi,

Not such thing as stupid questions.....They do change color, but to match the majority of the tank surroundings, I even tried using yellow on the sides of the tank to try and get them to change, but I have a black background and natural rock so the Kuda stay the chocolate color until they get happy with a female, then they change to a weird gray with black blotches. But if I look closely, they actually have dashes of red to match the macros, and they are very good at hiding in plain sight. They will hug a branch or rock they are hitched on if they notice you looking at them, and not move. They are VERY HARD TO FIND when they want to hide. The Potbelly horses don't change, they stay speckled, but the adult males do get a yellow tinge on the bottom of their big white bellies, and still I have to really look for them if it isn't feeding time.

Seahorses can be taught to come to a feeding station to eat like puppies. They are messy eaters polluting the tank and require diligence for care, and they limit what can go in the tank with them...nor do they don't have flashy colors like the fish do, but they are unusual enough to always be an attention getter. People who come to my house head straight for the tanks, to see them, LOL, even the cable guy.

I have to laugh at you saying how large my tanks are. When I kept freshwater fish, I honestly thought 55g was the largest tank you could buy at a fish store, in Chicago that's all I ever had seen. A 90g tank is considered a medium size for saltwater, the other is a 56g, it's just a tall tank instead of a long triangle one. Folks on this site have tanks averaging 125g to 400g. That being said, the smaller the tank, the harder it is to keep it stable, so the 10g tanks are expert only set ups. A total opposite to freshwater set ups.

babyai

sorry guys my spelling and grammar is not the best.. ^^; but I already know how to breed brine shrimp from when I was breeding betta fish. I been looking online for care guides for mandarins. I do want to have a pair.. if they have babies that would be good but if they don't im fine with that also. raising betta fish I learned that it can be hard to raise up the fry. you really have to feed them good nutrition foods. but what im seeing with mandrins is they are picky eaters.. so I'm going to wait till my tank is at least a year old before I add any mandarins.. and maybe another year before I add another.. if I choose to.. I'm not really sure what to do with my tank.. X__X all I know is I want to make it as bright and colorful as possible but healthy for all the fish.. real easy to keep corals and plants.. ^^;;

jay0705

Mandys are easy to keep if there eating frozen. Honestly I have a ton of blue leg hermits in my qt tank. They stay small.then I feed the hell out of my mandys when I first get them. I believe most people just dont feed enough to show a mandy they can eat that stuff floating around. My other fish devour frozen food so if my mandys didnt know to eat it rt away they would starve. Iam not saying over feed your tank tho lol I have a souped up cuc for that reason lol

babyai

maybe feed the other fish one one side of the tank and use some kinda dropper to drop the Mandy's food lower closer to the fish?? Id be worried about polluting my water and all the fish dying.. breeding live brine shrimp might be good.. or Meany types of food.. when I was breeding bettas we could feed them baby vinegar eels.. but I dono if you can use those for salt water tanks. also dries almond leaves where good for fresh water fish but I dono if they work well with salt water tanks.. X__X

babyai

this is a pic of the tank I will be using. (I know it a strange place to put it but its not there anymore it has a stand. this is when I first got the tank..)
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/JashinsHidan/new_50_gal_betta_tank_by_lil_kiwiz-d4w1tbp_zpsfab4f5d6.jpg

you can train them to come to eat?? *w* that's soo cute!!!!

I dono why but I think sea horses are just so cute. I like watching them youtube the way they swim and things. but I also read that you cant go on a trip when you have sea horses as pets unless you have someone that can feed them often.. plus I Live far out of town in the bush and every one I know lives in town like an hour away so maybe that's not a good idea.. not that I travel a lot but yeah. maybe when I get used to other types of fish and have more space I can get some sea horses. when I have more space I can have more tanks and get a sea horse tank or 2.. or... 5... ^^;; maybe.....

lol yeah.. If I had a large tank I think my floor would brake... I live in a large ish trailer and I think it would end up going through the floor if I had a 90gal tank.. X__X and I thought the bigger the tank the harder it is to take care of? or something..

babyai

oh pfft just build a indoor pool like the ones at marine land when you can walk under grown and see it but its huge pool.. and and then you can have a dolphin! XD j/k tho If I had the money Id be tempted to make a giant tank like that. id have it in the middle of the house that is really tall and wide.. in the living room and kitchen// dinning room. <3 dream home!! *w* id have it hooked up to a pluming system.. so it has fresh water.. >.< id have to get a custom tank builders! XD like my favorite show tanked.. *w* is dreaming big! but don't think its gonna happen.. V.V

jay0705

Lol those guys are idiots lol. They make it look so easy and its not lol but yes I have 3 sw tanks I would love to have one big one

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyAi http:///t/397768/fist-saltwater-tank-need-help/20#post_3546882
this is a pic of the tank I will be using. (I know it a strange place to put it but its not there anymore it has a stand. this is when I first got the tank..)
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/JashinsHidan/new_50_gal_betta_tank_by_lil_kiwiz-d4w1tbp_zpsfab4f5d6.jpg

you can train them to come to eat?? *w* that's soo cute!!!!

I dono why but I think sea horses are just so cute. I like watching them youtube the way they swim and things. but I also read that you cant go on a trip when you have sea horses as pets unless you have someone that can feed them often.. plus I Live far out of town in the bush and every one I know lives in town like an hour away so maybe that's not a good idea.. not that I travel a lot but yeah. maybe when I get used to other types of fish and have more space I can get some sea horses. when I have more space I can have more tanks and get a sea horse tank or 2.. or... 5... ^^;; maybe.....

lol yeah.. If I had a large tank I think my floor would brake... I live in a large ish trailer and I think it would end up going through the floor if I had a 90gal tank.. X__X and I thought the bigger the tank the harder it is to take care of? or something..

Hi,

Seahorses are no harder to keep then regular fish. LOL...I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and the only problem I had was the sump systems lifter pump had to be unclogged. So you can leave the house, even if you had a regular SW fish tank with regular run of the mill SW fish, they would need to be fed. I feed my seahorses once a day in the morning, and have had no issues. The secrete to an easy to keep seahorse tank is macroalgae, and getting healthy specimens that are captive bred, and eating frozen Mysis shrimp.

Here is a picture of my 30g long tank (no macroalgae in there at the time) with 4 erectus seahorses and corals. I no longer have this tank, I have replaced it with a 56g now.

This is an erectus horse after I transferred it to the new 56g tank

e/61/id/30852/">

Here is the 30g long with red macroalgae and easy to keep corals.

here is a picture of them at the feeding station where I trained them to come and eat.