Fist water test after cocktail shrimp

vwbortoni

Hi, today I did the first water test on my 55 (2 days after adding the dead shrimp).
First, some background:
1) I bought this tank (along with a 29 gal with Marineland HOT MAG canister filter) from someone who couldn't take care of it any more.
2) He gave me ~ 50 pounds of live rock, that was in his tank with a fish for 3 years.
3) When we moved the tank to my house, I put the the 1 fish, 3 cleaner shrimp and 6 hermits in the 29. ALong with most of the live rock.
4) a week later I set up the 55 with salt water from the LFS. The system has a Wet/Dry filter with hanging overflow (he had been using it). I had not used the WD on the 29, but I had put the blue balls in a 15 gal container with the guy's sand, a couple of live rocks, 3 hermits I forgot, and original water from his tank. I put in a small pump with an airstone.
5) 4 days ago, I moved the rock from the 29 to the 55. Then added 20 pounds of argonite sand and 20 pounds of LIVE sand. I also set up the WD.
6) 2 Days later I added the dead shrimp. Today I did a test and this is what I got:
Temp: 81
PH 8.2 - 8.3
Sal: 1.024
Amonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.1 mg/L
Nitrate: 8 mg/L
Is this OK? Am I cycling? Why is my amonia 0? Is all the live stuff making it so that the tank won't cycle?
What do you guys think?
Help, this is my first tank! :confused: :confused:

meemo

So you've only had the shrimp in there for 2 days? I have live rock too and am cycling now. I put my shrimp in 4 days ago and my ammonia was 2.0 today. I'm sure someone here can tell you what is normal. I'm new at this too.

scotts

VWB, first of all welcome to the board.
Second I am by no means an expert, just someone who has read this board a lot and learned from my mistakes. To me it sounds like you will have a fast cycle since it sounds like you are using a lot of stuff from an existing system. However one thing that is preached on this board is patience. It would not hurt to wait a couple of more days and redo the tests. I know how much you want to get fish in there but in the long run what will a little moer time hurt.
Oh yeah if you don't mind a little bit of advice research EVERYTHING before you buy it. I have told this before. I saw a beautiful 3" fish at the lfs. Bought it and put it in my tank. Later I learned about researching and found out that the fish as an adult completely changes color and grows to about 18" long. I was able to donate it to a local aquarium but I had to pull all of the rock out of my tank to catch the SOB.
Scott

vwbortoni

Thanks for your comments, I'll do another set of tests tonight and see what I get... I'll post the results.
Thanks!
Here's a pic just in case...

vwbortoni

Originally posted by VWBortoni
2 Days later I added the dead shrimp. Today I did a test and this is what I got:
Temp: 81
PH 8.2 - 8.3
Nitrate: 8 mg/L
Is this OK? Am I cycling? Why is my amonia 0? Is all the live stuff making it so that the tank won't cycle?
What do you guys think?
Help, this is my first tank! :confused: :confused:

Ok... 4 days later:
Temp: 80
PH 8.3
Nitrate: 7 mg/L
What's up!? :notsure: The shrimp is now almost all gone. What should I do... put fish in? Shrimp? Hermits have been in there for a week and they are happy. In fact, I think they ate the shrimp!
I don't know what to do now. :help:

rdursch

Same thing happened to me. I bought an existing tank, LS, LR and fish, filter, etc. I did not have a cycle. After three days I put in the fish (I know too soon.) But my tank has been good since then. It's been up for two and a half months. Only issues I have had are diatoms and now an algea bloom. (Brother took care of it while on vacation.) :eek:
I read on another board that using to much live phyto will cause this. Anyone have a suggestion to get rid of it.
Anyways, Welcome to the boards and have a great time with your tank. The opinions expressed here are incredibly helpful. I ahve learned ALOT from just going through and reading posts and answers. I think it has kept me from killing my little firends!