Fit as a fiddle to Dead as a doornail in 24 hours flat

flameangel

My naso tang went kaput in a 24 hour period. I noticed white specks on his fins and "brow line" on Wednesday night. Thursday he was hanging out at top of tank but still seemed okay other than specks. Thursday afternoon he was covered with a lot more specks and started breathing heavier/more rapidly. By evening he was even more covered still and was leaning against rock/glass at bottom of tank. What was this that killed so fast? Does ich kill that fast? I posted a thread already in the Fish Discussion forum titled "specks on fish." Just wondered...

Same thing happened to my yellow eyed tang. I think it was ick but I'm not sure. My tang died. The disease then started spreading to my other fish so you need to look out for that. I got rid of it by putting my fish in a bucket of freshwater for 1 or 2 minutes and put them back in the tank. On some fish I had to repeat the process on some fish if it grew back. Just to bad for the both of us that our tangs are already dead.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, this does sound like ick, and, while some fish may have more resilence with this disease, others, like tangs, tend to get hit harder when confronted with a disease process.

flameangel

Now my coral beauty has what looks like some kind of fin rot going on! One of her fins is looking shredded and ragged on ends. Her tail fin has like a chunk missing, although she's only in there with firefish and a percula. I don't believe they would be the culprits in this case.