Fitting a 55 gal sump into stand of existing 125 setup

dsmattice

I have a 55 gallon sump that needs to go under an existing 125 setup. Has anyone attempted this with a tank that size? I've seen where people have braced the stand, removed the doors and bracing, installed the sump, re-installed the bracing and doors. I'm a little scared given the size of my tank. Its an All-Glass 125 with manufacturers stand.
Any Ideas???
My display is currently a FOWLR, 5" DSB, 140lbs LR. I have not added any corals yet, so if my only option is to drain the tank even partially, I guess it wouldn't set me back too far.

blazehok68

Slide It In Through The Side. You Dont Need To Brace It, Just Cut A Hole In The Side Of The Sand Slide Her In And Maybe Put A Door On That Side. Easy

dsmattice

blazehok68,
I'm looking at the stand and the ends appear to be where the majority of the structural support for the tank is... Have you done this, or seen it done?

blazehok68

isnt the support just on the corners on the ends of the stand? ive seen it done on another chat forum. the 55 is only 13 inches wide. how wide is the 125? isnt it close to 20" wide? make a cutout between the braces, then just slide her in. take a measurement between the 2 main braces on the inside of the stand and see if you have enough room. it should only be braced on the corners. my 120 is 24 inches wide and the only braces i have is in the corners.

pyro

Good idea Blaze; I have never thought of that one. I will make sure to keep that idea in the back of my mind if I find myself in that situation. Much easier than bracing it and all that junk.
The 55 is pretty narrow if I remember right; shouldn't be much of a problem.

dsmattice

Not yet, my weekend blew up on me...I'm still laying out the sump/fuge design so I can get to installing it this weekend with any luck. I'll keep you posted. I guess if you don't hear anything, than I'm probably very wet and very flat...

blazehok68

Youll Be Alright. The Hardest Part Will Probably Be Cutting The Hole. Everything Else Will Just Slide Right Into Place.