Five Week Old 20 gl Tank Pics

1sttankcouple

We just wanted to put up some pics of our new 20 gl tank. This is our first tank so it is pretty sparse right now. We just switched to PC lighting yesterday so we hope to get some new corals next week. Right now we just have a mushroom, star polyps and zoathids. We got our black ocellaris clown last week and he seems really happy and loves to show off. Any comments welcome.

1sttankcouple

Thanks! I was just looking at the tank after you had said that it looks like a cats head and it totally does! I never noticed it before. Thanks for the comment!

1990jpyj

what kind of lighting are you running?
i know PC's but like brand and model. my GF likes how your light looks. she doesnt like how the Nova looks and like how yours does. not as tall i guess. either way it doesnt bother me but what ever makes her happy.
tank looks awsome. aquascape is sweet.

1sttankcouple

Thanks for all the positive feedback. We tried really hard to make the LR formations look fluid instead of just piling them up. We made tons of tiny adjustments until it was just like we wanted. There is a lot of space for fish to run around and plenty of spots for coral additions without getting a ridiculous amount of LR.
We just got new lights a couple days ago. It is a PC fixture from AquaticLife. It is model 420049. It comes in 4 sizes I think. Price is pretty reasonable though it was a bit more expensive than the others. The cool thing is that it has a timer built in for all three bulb sets so you can set them all separately right on the unit.

jackri

You said your tank has been up 5 weeks... you might want to slow down a bit and let the bacteria process catch up before adding much more. Would hate to see a crash due to it not being fully cycled. Have any test readings?
And yes cool looking tank so far :D

1sttankcouple

The only thing we have actually purchased is the clown. Everything else came with the LR. We are probably going to wait two more weeks before getting anything else.
pH is about 8.4, SG is 1.023, Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite are are all pretty much 0. Temp is 79 F. Calcium was a little low and alkalinity was a little high when we took in a sample last week, but we are working to get those where they should be before getting any corals. We have been pretty obsessive about the testing and haven't had trouble with any of the levels thus far really.

rldavisou

Sounds like you've got a handle on things. Welcome to the hobby!
Your tank looks great. The aquascaping is really well done.