Flag at Half-Staff

slice

According to this:
http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#174
section "m", the death of Whitney Houston does not constitute reason to fly the flag at half-staff.

bigarn

I believe i heard he did this like 10 times before for non military people. If he wants to honor her as a Jersey icon fly the state flag at half staff. I am 100% against having the American flag flown at half staff for any non military or government people. Of course our "fat boy" governor will do it anyway.

reefraff

Doesn't say a lot about the quality of the people from New Jersey if you have to select a burnt out drug abuser to heap a high honor on. If something happens to that dork from Jersey shore I guess they'll declare a state holiday? LOL!

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/390518/flag-at-half-staff#post_3459237
Doesn't say a lot about the quality of the people from New Jersey if you have to select a burnt out drug abuser to heap a high honor on. If something happens to that dork from Jersey shore I guess they'll declare a state holiday? LOL!
Not the people of NJ, just their idiot governor. And to think I actually like some of what Christie has done in the past too... My sister lives in NJ and works for the state...

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/390518/flag-at-half-staff#post_3459237
It's the fat slob of a governor that we have. I have already voiced my dissatisfaction with several things that he has done. I can't wait until he is up for reelection. I hope his sorry arse gets the boot.

acrylic51

That is a total disgrace IMHO......What service has she done for our country......
I actually have an issue with the flag being flown at half staff for politicians unless they've served militarily........Lets honor real hero's............

mantisman51

You know, I think it is ridiculous, but I really don't care. Living here(well, I'm in Irving, Tx for a while) in the Ft Huachuca area, I am blessed to be near all these young men and women who have dedicated themselves to service. I sometimes just sit and watch them from afar and feel small in their presence. Having spoke with dozens of these kids I have come to understand the meaning of honor and patriotism. I have asked them why they serve and every last one has said a variation of the same thing: to do something for their country. We can obsess over who is dating whom and what "star" is doing what because these young people are standing in the gap and making up the hedge-to quote the scripture. So Whitney gets half staff, it doesn't change the sacrifice and dedication these kids have. I one time stopped in front of the Walmart where a couple young soldiers were sitting awaiting for the base shuttle and said, "I just want to say thank you for your service. You young men are keeping my family and me safe. I can't thank you enough." The younger of the two looked up at me and said, "I love Sierra Vista. You're like the 10th person to tell me that." I just try to keep perspective and remember those who serve, those who have served and those who will never come home to smiles and cheers. So to Whitney Houston dying, I respond, "God bless you Jerry Shriver, wherever you are".

zman1

It's a bad joke. I find it Ironic that the progressives can't be blamed on this one. Somehow, some way, it will be blamed on Obama...

What was he thinking?

mantisman51

Finger-pointing and CYA have become the new political BAU. But now the Democrats are feeling the same way Republicans were when everything was Bush's fault. I think Obama made a huge mistake with the hard-core left turn he made since his healthcare was pushed through. Before then I think he was trying to be a center-left President. In regard to this specific example, I don't think it is left or right, it is a politician trying to appeal to the masses in his state. I don't put any good or bad connotation to it. I think it is just plain misguided.