flagfin angel has strange marks

bergamer

My tank is in hypo atm.
210g
Ammonia: 0-.25 (in between)
Nitrates 20ppm
PH 8.2
He eats mysis, spiralina, formula 1 and 2
I am setting up a qt and as soon as it cycles, I plan on putting him in.
what should I treat him with?
you can see the mark under his top fin and the mark is present on both sides of his body.

sepulatian

It looks like a bacterial infection. Treat it with Maracyn 2 for SW fish. Be sure to have the qt cycled and add a powerhead.

bergamer

can I treat this during hypo? He will be in hypo for another 3 weeks. I was thinking of putting the qt at .009 and just transfering him.
good idea or bad?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Antibiotics in an uncycled QT is a bad receipe.
What did you do with the live rock in your display that is under hypo??

bergamer

I took out all of the LR and put it in 3 30g rubbermain containers with heaters and a powerhead.
I was going to wait until the qt is cycled before putting in the flagfin.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
With a bacterial infection, you can wait. You will have to plan on having loads of water for daily water changes to keep the tank from cycling. Use water from your display to change out water in your QT, and add new water to your display.

bergamer

it appears as though the marks are clearing up as they are not that visible any longer. If they completely heal up, do I still need to do a QT?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by bergamer
http:///forum/post/2506541
it appears as though the marks are clearing up as they are not that visible any longer. If they completely heal up, do I still need to do a QT?
If the redness disappears then you will not need to medicate him. Get the qt cycled anyway though, in case he does need to be treated.