Flakes vs Pellets

boozzbro

Hello all its been a while since I've asked a question / posted anything so I figured I would ask this one and see if anyone has any oppinions.
What do you all use for dry foods flakes or pellets or just grind up your own fresh food (i still do this about 1x per week)?
I recently (well more like 3 or 4 months ago) tried to switch from the pellet form of Formula 1 & 2 to the flakes. I have noticed that it seems to gunk up my filters much more than the pellet and ends up making me have to clean the tanks more frequently than the every other week schedule I was on. Which I guess is to be expected since flakes tend to float and with the overflow setups that most of us have, a good portion of the food would go into the overflow. Is there anything I could do to keep more of the flakes in the tank or should I just cut bait and switch back to the pellets. I ask becasue im running low on food and its time for a re-order.
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

stanlalee

I NEVER use flakes except when using the autofeeder when out of town. flakes dont sink and get eaten in my tank like pellets do. with small size formula 1 and 2 pellets I drop them in one or two at a time and very little and sometimes none gets wasted. flakes are suppose to be notorious for high phosphates too. I'm not sure about pellets.

R

rcreations

I don't like dry food but pellets are better. Spectrum pellets.

95harley

I use both. I use large pellets, micro pellets, spirulina flakes, raw shrimp, Mysis, frozen forumla, nori, etc...
Variety is key in a balanced diet.
But I'm feeding lots of different sized fish in a large tank.

meowzer

I also use both flakes and pellets(formula 2, Thera+A, Marine flakes)....I use them as a "side" with my frozen.....Fish need variety...

sean48183

I use pellets now but had used flakes for years. Now that my fish have gotten bigger they make a mess splashing at the top of the water trying to get the floating flakes. Like Stanlalee said just drop in a few at time and let them gobble them up. Sometimes the pellets still float though and my lunar soaks me from head to toe!

jackri

I use both, as well as frozen foods. As far as flakes I grab a small pinch and release them under the water so they don't go down the over flow... plus my fish have a really hard time eating off the top water. Another thing I've heard is fish get air bubbles gulping food off the surface. If you use flake/pellets go for quality... I look for spirulina as an ingredient for my tangs.
Oh.. don't forget the seaweed sheets :D

ophiura

I use all manner of frozen, flake and pellet...flake food I always mix in some tank water and then pour in to get it to sink. I also turn the main pumps off to give it time to settle.