Flakes

acez28

How are yall feeding yalls fish flake food. Anything that doesnt sink a little in my tanks goes down my overflow. If the fish dont eat the flakes within a minute they are gone down the overflow.

brinkdrum

Wow, don't have that problem. I just have basic filtration, i let my LR do all the work. When you feed frozen, do you have the same problem?

ocellaris_keeper

I have my overflow with a plastic cover that keeps some of the flake in the tank longer - also try using Formual One flake - it drops to the bottom pretty quickly.

hondo

try mixing the flake food in a small cup of tank water before putting it in the tank. This was the flakes fall into the water collumn right away and are pushed around by the current, makes the fish go crazy in a feeding frenzy.
I noticed the same problem with just putting flake food in the water half the flake would end up going straight to the overflow and down to the sump.

dattong

yeah, either you can mix the flakes in a cup then pour it in or do this: Make sure your hand is clean. Hold the flakes between your fingers and dip it in. your fish would eat the flakes rite off your fingers. Some would nip at your finger. It's fun to do this, and your fish would let you pat on their heads as they get used to it.

broomer5

Pinch flake food with finger and thumb.
Place the food under the water surface.
Let it go near an area of high flow.
The food will not ride the surface on over to the overflow teeth.

tkblazer

i usually just take a small pinch of flake and place it on a plastic spoon where i'll add a drop or so of garlic extract and a few drops of zoecon. never really have any problems of flakes going into the overflow.