Flame Angel and Large Angel

ClaptonsGhost

I have a 6" blue face angel, a 4" Queen Angel, and just added a 1 1/2" Flame Angel. The Flame will be fine once he learns all his escape routes, assuming you have rock work. Once the Queen realized he couldn't catch him he left him alone, even when he's out in the wide open portion of my tank.

ClaptonsGhost

That's like saying you would thrive living in a walkin closet.
I've used that same exact example. There's a woman who goes to my LFS who has a 150 gallon. She has seven HUGE fish in her tank. A 10" clown trigger, a 10" blond naso tang, 9" Blue Face, etc. They didn't grow to that size, she buys them that big. I was wondering why my LFS was ordering so many huge fish. Easy sale. Crazy.

ClaptonsGhost

Nothing is more of an aggressive pain in the ass than a queen angel and the one I had was really bad, and he ignored my flame once he realized the flame could easily outmaneuver him.

I got rid of him and got another queen and he also leaves the flame alone. I seriously doubt a regal could be any more aggressive.

I've read so much that they are hard to take keep but the lps has had a 3-4" Regal for a few weeks now and he is eating great I'm just so scared with all the reading I have been doing. What's your thoughts on the Regal?

ClaptonsGhost

Are you concerned about the Flame or the Regal? You're confusing me. My LFS also has a beautiful Regal Angel but it's not eating and I don't know if the Queen will bother it if I did get it (I won't, my tank is nicely balanced now and I don't need aggression). If you're afraid of the Flame bothering it, why would it? It's a dwarf angel, the regal is a large angel, and a rather peculiar shaped one at that. Flames aren't aggressive. Even if I put a coral beauty in my tank now, he'll more likely nip at the flame than vice versa. And, having said that, I'm sure if I'm wrong you will get a vehement response from someone here who knows a bit more about it. But I'm pretty sure I'm right.

I'm good with your opinion on the Flame and Regal getting along. I am also worried about the Regal just because all the reading kinda sounds like its not a hardy fish but it is eating like a beast which makes it a little better.

ConradNoto

A Majestic would be ok in a 75gal under optimal conditions. The Majestic however is not a beginner's fish and not the easiest Angel to feed properly. It also depends on what you have in there. If your going to attempt it I suggest you keep no other fish except a few chromis or damsels, have good live rock with grazing materials, a grazing station and buy the proper foods. I would also suggest you upgrade the filtration to double ( 150 gal or greater) ad UV sterilizer and a wavemaker. Easier to just go get a 150 gal tank and better if you want to keep it for it's full life span.

20g is minimum for a juvenile, but it can not live its life in a tank that small. Minimum I say is 55g for the length, 75g for pure size. I personally wouldn't get a flame for a tank that small. If you want an angel, get a flameback or pygmy, although Nox Vidmate VLC I think they are slightly riskier when it comes to eating coral.

Last edited: