Flame Angel - mouth issue

brikhouz44

I have a flame angel that has a strange growth on each side of its mouth. He isn't acting strange or uncomfortable at all, but I'm curious if anyone has seen anything like this before.
I'm unable to get a picture, but I'll try to describe the growths as best as possible. They kind of look like small white / gray tusks on both sides of his mouth. They are directly on the corner of his mouth, and both the same in size and in the same place on both sides of his mouth. The "tusks" don't necessarily point out, but just lay on the side of his mouth. They are about 1/4 of an inch long on both sides, maybe a little bit shorter than that, but definitely very visable to the

[hr]
eye.
Again, he still eats fine, and is fat and happy in nature. He has occassionally fought off small boughts of ick, but has done fine.
The "tusks" have been there for a couple weeks, and have not grown. They've pretty much been the same size the entire time. It almost looks as if two copepods were just attached to the corners of his mouth.
Curious if anyone has seen anything like this before.
Thanks greatly for any help.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Keep trying to get that picture. Have these grown, or did they suddenly appear? How long have you had the fish?

brikhouz44

They've grown very, very slightly. Not much at all. I've had the fish for 3 months or so. He has always been very healthy and not stressed out. If anything, he is the leader of the tank - never been chased at all.
Water parameters are good. 75g fowlr - 1 year old
Stock list:
70 lbs live rock
Small Foxface
Flame Angel
Perc.
Midas Blenny
Blue spotted puffer
Royal gramma
2 cleaner shrimp
5 hermits
5 small snails
No issues with this crew in the past. I'm just curious if anyone has seen something grow on both sides of the mouth. It's interesting to me that there is something growing on both sides of the mouth that are the same????

rcdude1990

ok i think i no wats rong but not exact lol
i think u might have ick
my angel had this same problem but it was in front of his mouth and his fins
heres wat i did
i took put my angel inside a net and i clean it off him nice and easy wit my fingers but my fingers were covered with the net so i wouldnt damage it try it i did it 2 weeks ago and my angel fish can actually eat and i think he is happyier any questions jus ask
hoped i help u out

xdave

Sounds more like Lymphocystis than ich, ich doesn't grow. The mouth is a common area for this. We'll need a better description than just "something".