flame angel passes on

flamehawk

After eating well for over two weeks , FA stopped eating and started swimming listlessly and w/ little boyuancy. Typical signs of cyanide poisoning. It came from Vietnam and looked great at first. It died this morning or last night. I'm done w/ trying these fish. I truly hate losing fish and this one seems to not bring good luck to me. This is the part of the hobby that's really dissappointing and makes you think if we should be doing this at all. If we didn't demand them collectors wouldn't be tempted to use these methods. Makes you really think.
By the way he was in a Q tank under hypo so I suppose you can say I did the right thing and still.....

blueface

I've never had a flame in my 15+ years in the hobby due to the fact of the high death rate I've heard over the years. You should try a flameback they are usually more hardy. Sorry for your loss it always upsets me when I lose a fish!! My wife thinks I'm dimented when I get upset over a loss of fish! She just doesn't have the same passion for them like I do!!!

S

sebae0

i have had a flame for over 3 years now, guess i got lucky. i always liked their colors so thats what swayed me to get one.
one thing i did before i bought it was to watch her for alittle over 2 weeks at the lfs, that way i knew she was eating and there was no problems. sorry for your loss and good luck in the future.

vibe

sorry to hear that. i love flame angels. im sorry that yours died. but i wouldn't give up. i would also go with blueface's suggestion and get a flameback. good luck.

flamehawk

thanks for the encouragement. sebaeO- The flame was in the lfs for one week and in Q for over 2 weeks before showing bad signs.
While I don't believe I will try again, I'm wondering what has been the experience of those who have purchased a flame angel from SWF.com. I believe they are from the christmas islands off hawaii and are suppose to be hardier and not caught w/ cyanide. Would like to here from alott of folks who have bought flame from swf. Let the experiences begin.

I am so saddened by your loss, and the reason for it.
I have been in this hobby well over 30 years, and I remember the days this was never heard of let alone a major concern when buying aquisitions. It really disturbs me.
I had a beautiful Flame for nearly 10 years in my 125 FOWLR. She was my pal, and a family pet.
Needless to say, I would not buy one of these today. In fact, I try to aquire only farm-raised specimens. There are more and more sources, and as the hobby progresses, more species being bred.
I encourage everyone to do this. The total ammount of the waste of life is not to be believed.
Just my humble .02,
Barbie

flamehawk

Barbie- Thanks for the input. Where can I get a tank raised flame angel if I wanted to try again?
Lisa- thanks.
Still no stories about SWF.com flame purchases. I'm sure they will come....
Thanks to all.

Unfortunately Lisa I have not heard of flame angels being bred in captivity yet.
As to sources there are many, just check all the on-line vendors and quiz anyone you buy from. If they say, "uh, not sure how they are caught, or, I don't know", DON"t buy.
Call SWF and ask them, hopefully they can provide you with the information of where and how their fish are caught.
HTH
Barbie

FlameHawk, so sorry to hear of the loss of the Flame Angel, I know from your posts that it's a specimen that you truely wanted to add to your tank. Hopefully if you try the next time you will have better luck. Thoughts with you.

flamehawk

emperorangel- thanks for the words. Still havn't heard anything from those who have purchased FA from swf???Interesting?? Wil post seperately.
rolling....

sammystingray

Aside from that one behavior you believe proves cyanide poisoning........how can you be so sure? I have no personal experience, as far as I know, with cyanide.

flamehawk

I can't be so sure. It's a theory based on behavior patterns described from past readings and posts of others in the past. If you do a search on internet you'll find literature on this debilitating procedure and it's effects.