flame angel with ick

saltysand

I just bought a flame angel and 2 little tiny yellow tailed damsels and a cleaner shrimp last night at lfs. All looked healthy. Now my flame has very light almost unnoticable white spots aka ick. I have read a lot of info and am confused on what to do? I didn't quarentine (I know bad idea) because no fish had been in the tank for about 4 months just hermits and nassarious snails. someone please let me know what to do. I have malachite green, tea tree oil and I have read about hyposalinity, and they lfs said the cleaner shrimp would take care of it but the angel won't go near the cleaner. what should i do step by step please i am new to ick.

J

jesses89

the cleaner wont take care of the ich. the most it will do is pick off a few of the parasites here and there, but rid your tank of ich it will not.

saltysand

also how often is ick actually cured? I am alittle bit in denial that anything can besaved after previous experience with clown fish disease .oh and btw water perameters is amm 0 nitrates0 nitrites 0 ph 8.2 , temp 78 degrees. I guess this came from stress of moving the fish?

saltysand

Originally Posted by Jesses89
the cleaner wont take care of the ich. the most it will do is pick off a few of the parasites here and there, but rid your tank of ich it will not.

well thanks for that jesse but do you have any advice on what I SHOULD DO?

sepulatian

Ich is a parasite and has to be removed from the system. Saltysand, do you have LR, LS, inverts? I assume you do not have a cycled QT tank.

P

pitbullfan

I used Kordon Ich Attack in my 29 gallon a couple of weeks ago to cure a sixline wrasse and a rusty angel.The wrasse introduced it to my tank ( i dont have a qt tank), you will have to remove the carbon from your filter if you have any.I have a emerald crab,arrow crab, assorted hermits, and some snails and all are well

saltysand

no my quarantine tank is not cycled. Can I use the water from my display ?
yes I have shrimp crabs and snails. also should I put my damsels in quarantine , they are showing no signs YET??????

saltysand

Originally Posted by PitbullFan
I used Kordon Ich Attack in my 29 gallon a couple of weeks ago to cure a sixline wrasse and a rusty angel.The wrasse introduced it to my tank ( i dont have a qt tank), you will have to remove the carbon from your filter if you have any.I have a emerald crab,arrow crab, assorted hermits, and some snails and all are well

did it get rid of the ick?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by saltysand
did it get rid of the ick?
First, NO reef safe or invert-safe med will kill ick. Ich is an invert. You CANNOT kill one invert without killing them all!!!! Forget meds.

sepulatian

no my quarantine tank is not cycled. Can I use the water from my display ?
yes I have shrimp crabs and snails. also should I put my damsels in quarantine , they are showing no signs YET??????
What do you have as far as LR, LS and inverts? List amount of pounds for each and all of your inverts please.

saltysand

I have 29 gallon tanks , 20 pds lr, 2 inch live sand , 2 yellow tailed damsels, 1 flame angels, temp 78 , everything else 0 , ph 8.2, 4 nassarious snails, 2 blue leg hermits, 1 cleaner shrimp , 4 bumble bee snails :help:

sepulatian

I have 29 gallon tanks , 20 pds lr, 2 inch live sand , 2 yellow tailed damsels, 1 flame angels, temp 78 , everything else 0 , ph 8.2, 4 nassarious snails, 2 blue leg hermits, 1 cleaner shrimp , 4 bumble bee snails :help:
Ok, well you have less of a problem than some people on here. The easiest thing to do is get a rubbermaid tub, fill it with tank water, pull out your rocks, sand and inverts. Add a powerhead and a heater. Hypo the main tank.

saltysand

how long can the inverts stay without filtration? also what about the live sand ? also wouldn't that be the same as putting them into the quarantine tank with tank water?btw thanks so much for your help.

sepulatian

how long can the inverts stay without filtration? also what about the live sand ? also wouldn't that be the same as putting them into the quarantine tank with tank water?btw thanks so much for your help.
The tub would need a small HOB filter. The difference between moving your rocks, sand, and inverts into a tub and you moving the fish, is biological filtration. Fish put a heavy bioload on an uncycled tank. Rocks and sand are your biological filter and inverts pose little to no waste. They will be very comfortable in a tub for several weeks. Your fish, on the other hand, produce waste and will not be too healthy in a cycling qt tank.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by PitbullFan
Yes, the ich is gone and everything survived.
Don't count on it. I will say it again. Ich is an invert. You CANNOT kill one invert without killing them all (crabs, snails, shrimp, ect.) This was a temporary fix.

P

pitbullfan

I have used Ick Attack on the same fish twice in two years ( Rusty Angel ) in the same tank with invertebrates. It did not come back, it was introduced by two different fish about a year apart.I'm not trying to argue, I'm just speaking from my own experience. I've used it, it worked for me.