Flame Angle + Corals

tippmann03

At some point i want to have some corals in my 46 gal, but currently i want a Flame Angle. Will the flame nip at the corals when i do add some?

almarktool

it is a 50-50 chance ,
and if u want to get both i would def put them in the tank together,
then tell your LFS u want a non-coral eating flameangel , when he tells u he has one tell him great and have him put him in a tank with the 2 corals u picked out , then tell him to keep them together and u will be back in 2 days to pick the 3 of them up ,

dragoon

Almarktool you have to be kidding right. No quality LFS would do such a thing. About your two or three day quarintine with corals.
Flames will inherently alway nip at polyps. Whether or not you can keep it well fed and keep it's mind from wandering towards your corals is another thing. I've heard many a story of people leaving for a couple of days and returning to find out that their flame has destroyed thier reef tank. To be really succesful at this unrecommended procedure big tanks are a must and thus the fish can, if it chooses to, graze on a large variety of corals, and not decimate your coral population.
I would say it's more like a 80% to 20% chance eighty being the chance it will graze away on many of your corals. You better power feed it as well if you wnat no grazing to occur. Cause once it starts there is no stopping it. Oh yeah and zenia is the gateway coral. :)

S

sebae0

i have had a flame in a 50 and now in a 180 with corals and its has never nipped yet, same one by the way. but beware as said above this is my experience only and have heard that is about 50/50 from what i have read. they do have a lot of attitude and can be b@tches when they what to be. keep them fed well and have alot of lr to help with there grazing, i have atleast 200lbs in my tank.

i am thinking of adding a flame angel to my tank - what are their feeding requirements? i have 50 lbs of LR and 40 lbs of LS (for my mandarin's feeding needs), and i also have a maroon clown, who eats pellets - hikari marine-S. i don't want a fish that will compete with the mandarin for the pods, and i don't want a fish that will be aggressive with wither of my fish. tank is 6 months old, 29 gal. opinions please about adding a flame angel?

almarktool

Dragon ,
as i mentioned it is a 50-50
or the best other option is to find a LFS that has corals and flames together

stillfrodo

From what i heard its hit or miss witht he flame. I got lucky mine doesn't nip at anything. Only grazes the algae on the rocks.