flame angle

mysticgal22

The guy at the swfs told me that they are hard to keep, and everyone they have gotton in has died. Anyone have better luck with them? I would really like to get one, but I dont want it to die on me. thanks.

karajay

I don't believe it's an overly delicate species. But angels do require a good amount of LR and a mature stable system with plenty of swimming room.

flamehawk

They can be difficult at times and I for one have had little luck with these beauties.
I suspect because they are in such high demand and difficult to catch in the wild, that suspicious capture methods are used(Cyanide) which leads to their demise.
Have had much better luck with Coral beauties.

lesleybird

Originally posted by mysticgal22
The guy at the swfs told me that they are hard to keep, and everyone they have gotton in has died. Anyone have better luck with them? I would really like to get one, but I dont want it to die on me. thanks.

I have kept a flame angel in a forty gallon, now in my ninety gallon. I don't find them difficult to keep at all if you keep your water quality high. Do you know about your water quality and how to keep it good? Lesley

ozadars

Originally posted by trigger reid
they need good water quality and a 100 gal tank minimum

No you dont need a 100gal tank to keep a flame angel. Just 40 is enough. But you should pick a healty one which is eating and your tank should be more then 3 months old IMO. Some LR for it to hide and to eat on can be very helpful too.

drakken

My Wife and I added one to our 54 gal a week ago. One thing I've read is that the healthiest angels have a constant supply of macro algaes to graze on throughout the day. I use the dried type and our flame seem to like that a lot.
The biggest problem with flame angels (as mentioned before) is poor capture practices. We the aquarists need to put pressure on the stores not to buy poison captured fish.

stillfrodo

I have had a flame angel in my 92 gallon tank now for over 2 months. They like lots of rock work to graze over and some nooks and crannies to hide and swim in and out of. They also should be introduced into a well established tank as they like to graze on algae. I rubber band some algae sheets to a piece of LR and that seems to keep him happy. It is also hit or miss on the flame angel bothering your corals some do some don't. Mine doesn't seem to. Other then that they seem to be a healthy fish. Very colorful and fun to watch.

kreach

Originally posted by trigger reid
they need good water quality and a 100 gal tank minimum

If the angel in question was a large angel, like a queen or an imperator, which reach 12 inches or more, then you would be right. But a flame angel is considered a dwarf angel... it only reaches 4 inches. So a 40 gallon is fine for it.

S

sebae0

i have had a flame for over 3 years now, started in a 50 and now in a 180. it has done great from day one eats anything and grazes alot. best advise to give is to make sure its eating at the lfs b4 buying, meaning regular food and algaes. hth

mysticgal22

My water is fine. The tank has been up and running for 2 years now. I have a blue tang and a yellow tank, who are doing great in there. The flame, I think, would be just fine in my tank. I have a 72 gallon and up grading to a 155 soon.

D

daniel411

It should make a great addition to your tank. I have also heard about the catching process harming flame angels.
I read an article that stated that cynide catching of angels doesn't kill them initially, but a few months down the road. Often by that time they've been distributed to lfs, gone through quantine, and than we add them to our tanks. Than the harm from the cyanide catching takes place.