Flame Hawk - Cleaner Shrimp??

D

daniel411

In the photography forum, theres an "AWESOME" picture of a Scarlet cleaner shrimp actually cleaning a Flamehawk! I think its in the "unusual/strange" or something thread. Very cool, but in general its a no-no.

bdhough

It is possible since cleaners are generally regarded by alot of fish to not be food. BUT its an iffy proposition and you need to watch each of them if you decide to get one. My guess is its a 50/50 chance. Try doing the shrimp first then the fish...

simpdaddy

I didn't have success with my spotted hawk. He let him live for 2 weeks and then had him for a late night snack. Sucked.
I wanted to get a Fire Shrimp but don't want the same thing to happen.

banshee

If the shrimp are big enough it is ok. I have a flame hawk, 2 cleaners and a fire shrimp....they are all ok together. The flame however will go after small shrimp, as I have found out the hardway. :(

hondo

It has worked for some people. for me it work for a little over a year as my 2 cleaner shrimps lived in a 50g with my flame hawk. then one dissapeared and I didn't think much of it. then I saw my second cleaner a few days later being eaten by the flame hawk. since then no more shrimps in that tank. Hate not having shrimps but love the color of the flame hawk

jonthefb

i have a flame hawk and peppermint/cbs shrimp in my parents 135 and have never had a problem, but in general id say there about 50/50 as well!
good luck! they are definately a cool fish!
jon

spsfreak100

It really depends on the personality of the fish, and the size of the shrimp (when compared to the hawkfish). Some fish will make a meal of shrimp, while others pay little to no attention to them. To reduce the chances of the hawkfish eating the shrimp, make sure the shrimp is much bigger than the fish.
Graham

spsfreak100

Originally posted by Melody
Tried that but it didn't work. She made a meal of it in less than a week.

Hey Melody,
I'm sorry to hear about that :( My post was trying to reduce the chances of the hawkfish eating the shrimp, rather than eliminating the chances of that happening.
Out of curiousity, how big was the hawk and how big was the shrimp?
Take Care,
Graham

bioreefer

I saw the pic of the hawk and shrimp neat pic actually but I kinda look at like this you would probaby do anything at gun point!!!LOL;)