Flame not eating?

jfingers088

I've had my flame in my 90 for 2 days and he looks comfortable and is swimming in and out of the rocks but when i feed the fish he doesn't seem to have any interest in anything i feed. He does graze all day though on my rocks. Are they algae eaters? I feed them pellet food, mysis shrimp and pro green made by pro pops. He was eating at the store but he isn't a pig just seems like he eats enough to keep himself going. Should i be concerned or is this normal behavior for a flame that hasn't been in a new enviroment very long? I have 90 lbs of rock work also.

nicetry

In the wild, angels get much of their nourishment scouring algal film off rocks. If yours is picking at the rock, it is eating. Two days is not terribly long for a new fish not to accept prepared foods. If the fish is otherwise healthy, he should start eating your foods in short order. Give it s few days, and offer a varied diet.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by nicetry
In the wild, angels get much of their nourishment scouring algal film off rocks. If yours is picking at the rock, it is eating. Two days is not terribly long for a new fish not to accept prepared foods. If the fish is otherwise healthy, he should start eating your foods in short order. Give it s few days, and offer a varied diet.
I fully agree.

ricks280

get some nori wet it in salt water and break it up with your fingers thats how i got mine started i then use to chuck a block of m/shrimp in the sump so that when defrosted it would be picked up by the return pump and shoot them out into the display tank j.m.i (rick)

jfingers088

He does pick on the rocks like all day so i guess that he is eating so hopefully he is on the right path to start eating prepared foods.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by jfingers088
He does pick on the rocks like all day so i guess that he is eating so hopefully he is on the right path to start eating prepared foods.
Besides the garlic, you might also want to try this product called ENTICE, do a google. But it seems like you are on the right path.

larryndana

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Besides the garlic, you might also want to try this product called ENTICE, do a google. But it seems like you are on the right path.
you don't think garlic would help?

sepulatian

Offer foods he would get in the ocean. Try some frozen angel formula, formula2, or the nori. Garlic will help as well. I would not be overly concerned though, flames have a pretty bold personality. If he is hungry he will eat.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by larryndana
you don't think garlic would help?
No Garlic will definately help, but you might try entice as well in addition too or rotate the products to see which works best..

larryndana

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
No Garlic will definately help, but you might try entice as well in addition too or rotate the products to see which works best..
i was wondering, but i think i misread what you said, sorry.

jfingers088

Thanks everyone for your responses. Update is he still isn't eating food but still looks healthy isn't getting skinny and still picking off the rocks all day so i guess he is doing fine. My LFS told me that he is a picky eater. I will keep trying different things to see what he will go for. Thanks again everyone.