Flame scallop in bad shape???

rayraypico

atleast I think it is??? My flame scallop has its tentacles drawn in and not looking like its usual self. It seems like he has lost some of his normal vibrant red color. Anybody had this happen?? Can you give any insight on my problem??
I tried feeding him tonight to see if that helps, but he has been on a fairly regular schedule. So I have been adding a little phytoplankton every 4-5 days.

tangman99

How long have you had him? I never bought one because I have been told that they are almost impossible to keep more that 6 months. That may or may not be true.

aarone

I heard that they need dirty water, to survive. But that may or may not be true, after all i have never kept one.

toddpolish

I've heard the same things...need to feed them a ton....dirty water...etc...
it sucks that stores carry them, cause they ARE cheap and look cool.

rayraypico

I have had mine about 5 months without problems
He seems to be doing better.
I have had excellent water quality so I don't think the dirty water theory is good. They feed on phytoplankton so maybe dirty water has higher concentrations of phyto in it?????????
I'll give him another day and see how he is doing

bwmichael21

I've had mine for a while now aswell. they will also get some food from the frozen brine you feed the rest of your fish, haven't had any problems he just hangs off a rock happily i assume. However i've noticed the tanks at my lfs that house many of them about 1/4 are dead. That strikes me as a pretty high mortality rate.

hurricanedrift

I've had the luxury of living in south Florida and collecting many of my own specimens. Flame scallops are very numerous, always on the underneath side of rocks and reef ledges.. I have tried to keep them on several occasions without much long term success. They always seemed to do fine for a while and ten just fade away. I can tell you that many butterfly and angelfish find them to their liking to eat. I used to occasionaly bring one home just to open it to feed it to ths fish.