Flame Scallop problem!

chefben

Hey it looks as though my flame scallop has closed up and his sell isn't lined up correctly. It this bad? Could I do anything to help? He hasn't opened up at all today. He was fine yesterday when he moved to the front of the tank. Maybe my sally lightfoot has been bullying him around. That crab and my damsel are always going at it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!!
-ben

coachklm

flame scallops are best left in ocean .... well any scallopp for that matter.... not a very long life span in enclosed systems.

chefben

Yeah I thought he looked cool and the LFS said he would do ok in my tank set up. anyother thoughts?
-ben

jmick

I suggest in the future you not rely on your LFS as your sole source of info and do your own research before adding a new specimen to your system. Enjoy the scallop while you have it because it will not live long.

turningtim

I agree with the above. If you have any question whether its alive or not get it out of the tank. It will decay quickly and may cause the tank to spike.
If its dead it will be one stinky little thing!
JMO
Tim

N

n_sarno

How long is not long?
I have had mine for 6 months +
just wondering.. I mean they are so cheap and an easy way to add color I think that I'll add another once this one goes.. I had heard the same thing but mine seems to be doing quite well.. Who knows though!
Sry about thread hijacking

N

nereef

N Sarno, congrats. they don't usually live long but yours may be defying the trend. i hope he lives longer.

turningtim

Sarno thats long. I've heard of others having some success also but 9 out of 10 don't.....
If you find the secert please let us in on it. They're quite cool critters.
Tim

alyssia

I had a flame scallop that lived two whole days. I agree with all of the above about them not being suitable for aquarium life.

wrongmove

I actually work at a LFS....pls don't hate me. I tell people not to buy them for the tanks cause they won't live so if anyone has some secrets pls let me know.