Flame Scallop

megadon

I have seen a Flame Scallop sitting in a LFS and was thinking about grabbing it, anything special with them? Anyone have one and can give me the +'s and -'s of them? Diet, needed water conditions?

dockery07

I have three and you never see them. They jump behind the rock or where ever they like. Worthless if you ask me. I would like to see what I am getting. Anyhow they need DT's often. I have not fed mine directly since It is way in the back behind the rock. They look cool, but seeing them after the first week is another thing totally.
edited to say: the first time they did that pac-man way of moving freaked me out.

hairtrigger

They are great for a tank... but they require great water parameters. I hear they are tough to feed sometimes. I don't know much about them.... just going on what I hear at the LFS. They look really cool though. :cool:

megadon

Doc,
What are you talking about "DT's"? I use Phytoplankton and baby brine in the tank, so I think it should find something to eat. My water is pretty good, so I will give it a try. Thnaks for the input.

shanahjm

Be very careful with scallops. If (or when) it dies and you do not remove it quickly it will poison your tank. Something that small will change your water properties for the worse. I speak from experience.

javajoe

ive had one for a few months-- they do tend to hide-- unless you eposy their a$$ to a rock :)
he seems ok, but i have heard they don't last more then 6 months to a year, but hey- they are only about $7, you can always get another. they are filter feeders, so use DTs like someone else mentioned.

frogger

mine is about 4 months old and is sitting right up where you can see it. It has propelled itself up under the rocks before though. It stopped moving after about a month. Looks like it has major eye lashes going on! One major thing is you cannot expose them to air. They are kinda like sponges. My first one died the second day because I picked it up right out of the bag and was examining it. HTH

eddie g

Have you seen the electric flame scallops? They look like a flame scallop but they have an electric arch that constantly flashes.

N

newreefers

Mine is sitting front and pretty. Now and then he will move around but likes it up front. If I get near him to feed him he closes up, so I gave up finally. He eats the stuff I feed everyone else. He is doing fine.:)

javajoe

DTs is a brand of phytolankton-- a lot of people like it, as it is live plantkon-- you keep it in the fridge.

megadon

Thanks guys, I can't wait to pick it up this afternoon. I use Kent Pytoplanton for a few LR clams, the cucumber and the hammer, also use frozen baby brine. I'll pick up the DT crap too, thanks for the advice folks.

megadon

Thanks guys, I can't wait to pick it up this afternoon. I use Kent Pytoplanton for a few LR clams, the cucumber and the hammer, also use frozen baby brine. I'll pick up the DT crap too, thanks for the advice folks.

donkeykong

Eddie G i have seen the electric scallop and they are cool looking. My wife wants one but I dont know much about them do you know if all this info is also true about the electric scallope

jrb384

my 2 cents, I just heard that your salt levels really affect them, if your salt level isnt perfect, they'll die quick.

michaeltx

something else with them is not to over skim you tank this adds more food in the tank for them to filter out..
here is a picture opf my eyelash scallop he his right out in the open also.

tcoco

I just pick up one of those electric flames and its cool its got a blue flash it looks like a spark but as others said I had him for about 3 days now and hes behind a rock I wanted him in the front because its cool to look at but evry time I move him behide the rock he goes :mad:

mini-reefer

Ive had an electric flame for around three months. After the first week of catching him a moving him back where I wanted, I finally gave in. He finally found a spot he likes; behind a rock where he barely gets any light and cant be seen. The whole pacman thing when he moves cracks me up too. He makes me nervous with my DSB when he gets stuck and starts to dig a hole in the sand.

michaeltx

the way that I got them to stay in one place where I could see them before was to place it where it was on the sand bed and part way under a rock. I have had 3 of them in various tanks and all but one stayed in the area that I placed them.worth a try worked for me who knows it might for you.
as far as light I dont beleive they are dependant on it for anything.
Mike