Flame Scalups

ds450x

Im looking at getting some flame scalups for my fish tank. I heard that they help clean up nitrates and look cool. What are some other things, can even be corals, that I can order off swf.com that are non-photo?

reefkprz

flame scallops dont clean up nitrates.
they are filter feeders that generally starve in the home aquarium over the course of several months.
not to mention they have an extremely short lifespan naturally. they only live about 3 years tops.

T

tizzo

ds,
Just incase your not sure who to believe, I'm gonna side with reef keeperz on this one.
The "advice" you mentioned, sounds like that of a typical LFS. You will never find any warrented research stating anything like that.
I don't know much about cleaner clams, but if memory serves me right, I think they help with nitrates...

saltn00b

flame scallops are one of the notorious things in this hobby. sold everywhere because beginners think they are so cool and cheap, but they always die , 100% of the time, within weeks. dont waste your money. if you have a nitrate problem, try to discover the root cause of it instead of throwing money at it.

ds450x

Okay thanks everyone. I love this site for reasons like this, to make sure I dont waste my money. Is there anything else I can add to my tank that dont need lighting that would be keep the water clean besides lr and ls?

saltn00b

feather dusters, coco worms. you can also add sun corals or some non-photsynthetic gorgonians, but you will need to feed them.

anacaonda dan

Originally Posted by saltn00b
http:///forum/post/2750137
flame scallops are one of the notorious things in this hobby. sold everywhere because beginners think they are so cool and cheap, but they always die , 100% of the time, within weeks. dont waste your money. if you have a nitrate problem, try to discover the root cause of it instead of throwing money at it.
Salt noob is a good name.
I've had two flames for the past two years. They've moved around a couple of times, but still in good shape.
Always. 100% of the time.
Anybody can say anything
on the internets...

saltn00b

congrats, you are the first person i have ever heard of keeping them successfully. whats your secret? husbandry habits? what do you feed?
i should have said 100% of the cases i have seen posted about, read about in books, and including my experience as well.
this is a forum of hobbyists , not textbooks. any one can say anything and it should be taken as experience and taken with a grain of salt. due processing / research is always best before making a decision. Basing a choice on posts alone , one should weigh into account everyone's posts and experiences and not just wait to see the one response they were hoping to see as the green light to go by an animal etc.
name calling, belittling, harsh tones, and cynacism do little to advance the hobby.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by anacaonda dan
http:///forum/post/2752363
I've had two flames for the past two years. They've moved around a couple of times, but still in good shape.
Always. 100% of the time.
Anybody can say anything
on the internets...
really I would love to see some pictures from 2 years ago when they were the size of a quarter, and some pictures showing how much they have grown over the past two years. Seeing as they grow extremly fast the growth shots would be pretty cool. your right anyone can say anything, so rather than just saying anything, how about some pictures and details of your success, or were you just saying anything to try and insuilt some one?

I am relativly new to reef keeping and was one of the ones that bought a cool looking flame scallop, and hes in me tank doing great for the last 4 months. I feed phyto every night and I think it does him and my feather dusters/coco worms good. Also if you are looking for neat thing for your tank I got a fire shrimp. very cool and he cleans my harbor goby on occasion.