Flame/Spotted Hawkfish or Snowflake Eel with CB Shrimp?

reefereric

Have any of you had good luck? Everything I read says they may eat shrimp, but my CB is not small, and has shown it can fend for itself. Was thinking a flame or a spotted hawkfish? I was under the impression that it would pick on corals, but it appears I was wrong?
And how about the snowflake eel? I don't think I'll be going this route, as it will probably go after a few things that I wouldn't want it to, but If I can get it small enough to start with, training it may work, yeah?
Thanks in advance!

srfisher17

Originally Posted by ReeferEric
http:///forum/post/2706168
Have any of you had good luck? Everything I read says they may eat shrimp, but my CB is not small, and has shown it can fend for itself. Was thinking a flame or a spotted hawkfish? I was under the impression that it would pick on corals, but it appears I was wrong?
And how about the snowflake eel? I don't think I'll be going this route, as it will probably go after a few things that I wouldn't want it to, but If I can get it small enough to start with, training it may work, yeah?
Thanks in advance!
IMO, I wouldn't trust any hawkfish with any shrimp; and the eel will almost certainly have shrimp for lunch. I'm sure this has been done; but there's an exception to everything. I don't believe you can "train" a fish to do much and training one to ignore its basic instincts and genetic make-up is asking a bit much. There are so many reef/invert safe fish to chose; I'd look around a little more.

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/2706206
Hm, and here I had high hopes... Guess I'll keep looking! Anyone else have experience with the hawks?
Sooner or later you'll find someone who's made this work. Here's what a major online retailer says:
"Hawkfish
Most Hawkfish reach a size of three inches and are hardy specimens that adjust well to aquarium life. Keep in mind that while Hawkfish do well in reef aquariums, they will eat smaller shrimp and fish. A well-sealed lid and adequate hiding places are required to maintain these fish."

stanlalee

I wouldn't trust any of them. hawks are ambush hunters so how well the coral banded defends itself matters not. hawks will sit there and wait for just the right moment and pounce before he see's it coming. Flame hawk most likely to leave it alone. Not sure about the eel but snowflakes are primarily crustascean eaters and the fact they dont see very well doesn't seem like it be a good idea. I've seen plenty of cleaners with big fish eating eels. hit or miss I hear.

noah's nemo

Here is what i've found out with hawks.I have a flame(love em) he has not touched my CB or peppermints,they were in there before him.I recently got a skunk(cleaner)put him in , 2 days later gone.I've been told the hawk thought it was food for him,and that he won't mess with the others because they were already in there.So i have to take this as somwhat true because he has not messed with them yet.I say give a flame hawk a try

lietz06

http:///forum/post/2706206
Hm, and here I had high hopes... Guess I'll keep looking! Anyone else have experience with the hawks?
I actually just bought a cleaner shrimp yesterday. I've been really good about researchin my fish to make sure they'll get along. I have a spotted hawkfish(so much fun to watch-he will follow you all around the tank to see what you're looking at, lol-L.O.V.E. my hawk) As soon as I threw the shrimp in he attacked and then I realized musta been a bad idea. The shrimp got away and crawled behind a rock. So far so good. I only saw him attack him as soon as I put him in. He did hunt him a lil...but he hasn't hurt him or killed him. That's just MY experiance though. The story isn't over yet though-so it might not work out, it's only been a day. I should have read into cleaner shrimp before I got one to see that they don't get along...but like I said everything is going alright with mine.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by lietz06
http:///forum/post/2707641
I actually just bought a cleaner shrimp yesterday. I've been really good about researchin my fish to make sure they'll get along. I have a spotted hawkfish(so much fun to watch-he will follow you all around the tank to see what you're looking at, lol-L.O.V.E. my hawk) As soon as I threw the shrimp in he attacked and then I realized musta been a bad idea. The shrimp got away and crawled behind a rock. So far so good. I only saw him attack him as soon as I put him in. He did hunt him a lil...but he hasn't hurt him or killed him. That's just MY experiance though. The story isn't over yet though-so it might not work out, it's only been a day. I should have read into cleaner shrimp before I got one to see that they don't get along...but like I said everything is going alright with mine.
But like you said, its only been a day.

F

flame hawk

if your shirmp is in the tank first it should be ok i have a cb and 2 cleaner shirmp in my tank with a flame hwak and snow flake eel they dont mess with them however you wont see them much in the light but at night they are all over if you add any shirmp after the hawk or eel they will be a good meal for them good luck