Flasher wrasse and sixline

jpa0741

Will these coexist? I have had the sixline for about a year and would like to add another wrasse. Tank is a 92g. I am pretty sure they won't but thought I would check anyway. If not a flasher is there any other wrasse that might do ok?

promisetbg

They should be fine as long as your sixline is receptive to newcomers. Some are, some are not. The flasher is a shy fish. What size tank?

nicetry

I would be very cautious in doing this. I added a flasher wrasse to my 120 with an established six line and the six line killed it. He chased it relentlessly for days on end, attacking it when he could. The rest of the time he would not allow it to come out and eat. The flasher was twice the size of the sixline and the sixline hadn't bothered anything else in the tank. It's a gamble and if you're prepared to tear your tank apart removing one of them, then go for it. Obviously, your mileage may vary but there are many reports of sixlines doing damage to newly added wrasses. A large fairy wrasse might be a safer bet. Flashers are more timid and don't stand up well to that sort of aggression.

poniegirl

It seems to be that a fish's body form and coloring have much to do with compatibility. I try to avoid any mix that seems remotely iffy in this area. This is a very basic theory and sometimes can be proven wrong, but in the animal kingdom, it seems sensible.