Flatworm & Brittle worms the same?

museumgirl

I work at a childrens museum/science center. I was told that we have brittle worms in our tank that killed our BTA. Are brittle worms the same as flat worms? Also it was recommended that we get a couple Arrow crabs b/c they will eat the worms. I've read the thread on arrow crabs, but what else can we do to get rid of these nasty guys?

druluv

Actually bristle wroms can be beneficial to your tank, this is accroding to Dr. Shimick. They eat the waste and left over food from the sand bed, and even shuffle the top layers of sand to help prevent clumping.
Flatworms on the otherside can be toxic to your tank. When they die, they release toxins in the water column which can be bad for your coral and other live stock.

druluv

Part of Dr Ron Shimick - Article
The infauna are "the clean-up crew" and the "reef-janitorial" staff, and the array found in a successful tank may be DIVERSE! More than 200 different species commonly are found living in a mature sand bed. These include many types of flatworms, round worms, dozens of species of bristle worms, small snails, brittle stars, small sea cucumbers, protozoans, and many types of small crustaceans. The total populations may be immense. I have done sampling to measure the abundances found in the 45 gallon tank I mentioned earlier, and the number of animals larger than half a mm, or about one fiftieth of inch, in that tank ranges from 90,000 to 150,000 depending on what part of their population cycle the various species are in.
What does this diverse and abundant array of critters do for and in the sand bed? Well, some will eat excess food, detritus, or algae. In doing so, they utilize it, and excrete part of it as waste. In turn, bacteria utilize that, and thus the infauna help keep the biological filter going. Additionally, many infaunal animals burrow ingesting some sediments as they go. They digest the microorganisms off of them, opening space for bacteria to grow.
By moving through sediments, the animals jostle and move the particles. Not much, just a little tiny bit. It has been estimated that each day each small organism moves about 10 to 100 cubic millimeter of sediment. Multiplying this tiny average amount of jostling by the number of animals in the tank gives the total amount of disturbance. In my 45 gallon tank, with an average population of about 100,000 small animals, from one to ten million cubic millimeters of sediment is moved each day. Or phrased another way, the entire tank's sediment volume could be completely turned over at least once every three to thirty days. With this amount of jostling and sediment eating, sediment clumping the sediments will simply not occur.

druluv

Some More On the subject I found:
Baby BristleWorms -
Most experienced reefkeepers strongly believe in the beneficial effects of bristle worms on the sand bed. We hold the view that bristle worms and other sand bed scavengers are vitally important components of reef ecosystems, both captive and wild.
Simply put, bristleworms are to reef tanks what earthworms are to gardens. Bristle worms constantly stir the reef tank sand bed and help keep it aerobic. They consume uneaten fish food and fish waste, preventing dead and decaying organic matter from accumulating on top of the sand bed. Bristle Worms will mature rapidly and reproduce to levels that are consistent with the available resources (food and space) in your reef tank.

_kip_

there are several species of bristleworms out there, most of which we dont encounter in the hobby. the most common ones we see are the pinkish colored ones and they are harmless. they wont a coral, clam, anemone, etc unless it is already sick/dying. (this is their job.. to clean up leftovers)
your BTA probably died for other reasons and the worms were there cleaning up and got blamed.

museumgirl

These guys look like little centipedes. They're pinkish, and sometimes half black. I do'nt think they actually have legs, but they're covered with spikey hairs.

ophiura

As anemones have very specific needs - especially for intense lighting and a mature tank (at least 6 months old), it is quite possible the anemone died and the worms were cleaning it up. This is a good thing...a dead anemone is not something one wants in a tank.
The worms are not nasty - and "cures" (such as arrow crabs) can certainly be far worse than the "disease." Just let them be. It is a bit "old school" to think of bristleworms as pests...outdated advice.
So want are your tank parameters and lighting?