flatworm killers?

ajroc31

Can someone please let me know what eats flatworms? I know that a velvet nudibranch will eat them, but I am really against putting anything toxic in the tank. Chemicals are out of the question too. I am sorry for being so picky. Is there any fish that feeds on them? One side of my tank is pretty much brown thanks to these things.

T

tizzo

You can try a 6 line wrasse. A spotted mandarin will also eat them. Or you can spend some time each day sucking them out with a turkey baster.
I know you said no chemicals but flatworm exit is perfectly safe for corals and inverts. What IS toxic however are those flatworms!! When they die, they are just like a small nudibranch, the release toxins into the water.
So, if you don't find a fish and don't want a nudi, I think flatworm exit is a good option.:)

ajroc31

Thanks Tizzo. I have six-line and he won’t touch them. Some people have more success with them. I guess it’s like anything else in this hobby; it’s hit or miss. I have so many of them, probably in the millions. I am afraid that FT exit will create too much of toxic release. I will go and try a mandarin. Maybe that will work. Thanks

T

tizzo

Yeah, you gotta turkey baste out as many as you can. Takes forever, but it will reduce the numbers.

paul

Tizzo,
I just dosed my 90g tank with FWExit. How long will you leave the medication in before the water change. I mean, how long will it take to be sure that all FW have been killed?

T

tizzo

As soon as you see them start to die, run the carbon and after about an hour I'd do the water change. :)

paul

Tizzo,
It's been 6 hours since I dosed the tank with FW Exit but I still see a few crawling on the sand and some sticking on the glass. Should I (a) give it a few more hours? (b) increase the dosage?, what should I do?
I am worry that the ones that survive will repopulate the tank.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Hey Tizzo!!!! have you ever heard of anyone using dog heartworm medicine??

That's for the "red bugs" that acropora corals can sometimes come in with. I think your talking about Interceptor (?)

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by paul
Tizzo,
It's been 6 hours since I dosed the tank with FW Exit but I still see a few crawling on the sand and some sticking on the glass. Should I (a) give it a few more hours? (b) increase the dosage?, what should I do?
I am worry that the ones that survive will repopulate the tank.

If you still have survivors retreat the tank and if you still see them after 45 minutes alive then add 50% more. It says it at the bottum of the instructions. :)