Flatworm problem

banshee

My friend is has been "babysitting" some of my live rock and corals for a couple of months while I redo my tank. He has just recently developed a flatworm problem and can't get rid of them and I want my stuff back pretty soon. What is the best way to get rid of the "baddies" off of my rock and corals before putting them in my tank? I have heard of a freshwater dip and salinity dip, but wouldn't know how to do either. Can someone please enlighten me or give me some suggestions. Thanks.

squishy

had a flatworm problem and used a black velvet nudi to get rid of them. The bad thing about this is once they eat the flatworms they starve to death.
But that is one way. And of course, just my opinion

krull001

you can use a six line wrasse or scooter blenny and mandrians any of them will help with the problem

danprospec

Possible solution 1: Get Seachem Reef Dip Coral Disinfectant. Follow directions for dip in a container. Leave in container for approx 10 minutes, then place in tank- you will see the flatworms left in the container- dospose of corpses.
Possible solution 2: Flatworm exit- but this actually can put your entire system in jeopardy depending on the amount of flatworms present. Does work if you follow the directions carefully, but again is a big risk.
Hope this helps

poniegirl

Originally Posted by krull001
you can use a six line wrasse or scooter blenny and mandrians any of them will help with the problem
I agree with the wrasse only. Actually, many different types of wrasse will be effective, fairys for another example. And they will eat other foods that are offered, so you don't risk dooming the fish to starvation and getting your worm problem back.
Once the fish (if you choose to do so) has the population under control, you might then consider treating with Exit. You must be sure to syphon off as many of the deceased worms as you can. Once dead they release toxins that will kill your livestock. Read the instructions very carefully and research it before you do so.
I opted not to use the Exit, but bought a wrasse to control bristle worms, because, let's face it, there are some hitchhikers that we love and I feared the Exit would Exit them, too. I don't like chemicals in my tank.
Using a mandarin is not a good idea. I don't believe they eat the worms and even if they do, without a good lasting source of live food (pods) they generally starve to death.
IDK about the scooter..

danprospec

This may be rare, because everytime I see or hear of anything with flatworms everyone says get a wrasse/ six line, etc. I have yet to see my six line eat eanthing other than mysis shrimp and he is a cure little guy so when I am actually home I watch him a lot.

banshee

danprospec said:
Possible solution 1: Get Seachem Reef Dip Coral Disinfectant. Follow directions for dip in a container. Leave in container for approx 10 minutes, then place in tank- you will see the flatworms left in the container- dospose of corpses.
This is more of what I am looking for. The flatworms aren't in my tank and I don't want to introduce them into it. He also has two types of flatworms (orange and white). He used Flatworm exit and that killed the orange ones, but the white ones didn't die. I DON'T WANT THOSE SUPER FLATWORMS IN MY TANK!