float switch to prevent tank overflow

rknapp

Can anyone tell me if they have any overflow prevention on their reef tank? This morning a snail went down my overflow even though I built a screen to prevent this and I had water over flowing out the top of the tank everywhere. I certainly need some kind of float switch or suggestions on how to prevent this. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

snakeblitz33

If you could, post a few pics of your overflow and setup. I would need pics for designs and options for yah.
Do you have an internal overflow or an external overflow?

rknapp

Thanks. The tank is a glass 4'x18"x24"h and is drilled on the bottom in each back corner and then connected with bulkheads, 1 for water in and 1 for water out. The one on the right has a 1" pvc pipe that comes straight up and is about an 1" or so below the very top of the tank so water siphons off the top of the tank to the sump. Not too often, but once is enough, a snail or something goes down and gets stuck so the water gets pumped down in the sump since it isn't returning. The sump is in the basement along with the pump and when this happens the top off water float senses the low water in the sump and makes the water rise in the sump to where it should be. As you can see the pump keeps on sending water up to the tank and then comes a waterfall. Not good this morning. Luckily I was home. I'm planning on taking some pics but haven't gotten to it yet. I definitely have to make this fool proof. Thanks for any help.

al&burke

Sorry that happened to you. I have a sump system, I have two drains for each internal overflow box, should something happen to one of the drains the other would take over. I have strainers on each of the drains in the overflow box, here is a picture, they have an NPT fitting that attaches to my bulkhead from inside the internal overflow box. Sorry I thought I had a better picture but this might give you an idea.

rknapp

2 drains is a good idea. If I thought of that I would have done it. I'm looking into a low voltage float switch that would shut off my pump since I can't drill any more holes with the tank in use. Thanks for the input.

reefraff

A really good idea is to lower the water level in your sump. You want it so if the return pump shuts down the sump wont flood and if the drain clogs the tank wont flood ideally. If you have a really large sump another option is to raise the return pump off the bottom of the sump so it will suck air before overflowing the display.
Auto top off dot com has a lot of cool toys for float switches and stuff.

2quills

Yep, that would work to. You'd just have to do top off's more often. Something simple, along the lines of what Al mentioned would be to come up with a way to modify your drain so that critters large enough to block the line can't get to it.

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknapp http:///t/388894/float-switch-to-prevent-tank-overflow#post_3432763
Can anyone tell me if they have any overflow prevention on their reef tank? This morning a snail went down my overflow even though I built a screen to prevent this and I had water over flowing out the top of the tank everywhere. I certainly need some kind of float switch or suggestions on how to prevent this. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Perhpas already mentioned but you should adjust your pump intake and sump water level so that should the drain plug, the pump runs outta water before the upper container (display) floods.
my .02

btldreef

I run float switches for tank overflow issues, as well as for my auto top off and my automatic water changer. There's a few different models out there, and they need to be replaced every so often because salt destroys them. They're not a guarantee, but thus far I've had no issues.