? float switches

neoreef

Hey, I really love the float valve auto top off. Now I want insurance:
Now that I can turn the pump in the top-off bucket ON whenever evaporation lowers my tank water level (thus lowering the float), I want to be able to turn the pump OFF if the bucket runs dry.
Can I, in the top-off bucket, attach another float switch that is reversed, so that when the float is down (as the water level goes to zero) it shuts OFF the power? Can I just take off the little clip and reverse the round float and replace the clip,
or do I just turn the whole thing upside down?
I don't like turning it upside down because I worry about wear and tear and saltwater on the wires.
Can anyone give me a clue about this? I am just a newbie.
Thanks!
Kathy

acrylic51

Are you talking about using the plastic float valve to turn the pump off??? Or are you talking about turning the RO unit off??? If your trying to turn a pump or powerhead on and off you would probably be looking at using a an electric shut off valve. It would get wired into the power cord of the pump or power head... HTH

neoreef

Hi,
The RO unit is separate from my tank. I refill a top-off bucket the old fashioned way--I pour it.
I am talking about adding a second float switch to prevent my pump from burning up should I forget to pour/refill my top-off bucket, and it runs dry. This is a differenct float switch from the one I am using to turn the pump ON to refill my tank.
Thanks,
kathy

acrylic51

Sorry about the confusion, but you would need to look at a float switch electric that can be hardwired to the pump or powerhead to shut the thing off when water level drops to a certain point... You can find them on ---- for around $5.00, but you have to hunt to find them...

yaksplat

The float switches are either NO or NC. You just take the clip off of the bottom and flip the float.
Jim

yaksplat

neoreef-
Why don't you just attach a solenoid valve to your RO/DI unit. The solenoid is typically NC so a power failure won't cause a flood. This is what I'm setting up now. Also, I'm using redundant float switches to reduce potential failure

tony detroit

I'm a lover of the Kent Float Valve Kit and valves.
To all:
Keep in mind that float VALVE and float SWITCH are two completely different things.

neoreef

Originally posted by yaksplat
neoreef-
Why don't you just attach a solenoid valve to your RO/DI unit.

Because I don't know what a solenoid is.:notsure:
Can I get one cheaply? Where? How does it work, and how do I install it?
Sorry I used the wrong word, Tony. I meant float SWITCH . i understand the float valve is what stops the flow of water into the toilet tank. I think one can use it to stop RO filter from overflowing the storage tank.
Thanks, everybody, still need more help.
Kathy

yaksplat

A solenoid valve is a valve that is opened and closed by a magnetic field when current is run through the unit. If you attach a float swith in line with this valve, the valve will open when the float switch drops and then it will close once the water level hits the desired point.
You have to make sure to get a valve that is all plastic, mcmastercarr dot com sells them. Just look for "Polypropylene Direct-Acting Miniature Solenoid Valves". Then you also need some push lock fittings to attach the tubing to the valve. I just bought these at Lowe's.
solenoid valve : $18.12
Float switch : $6
fittings: $2.60
transformer (12vdc) :$4
total cost : $30.72
Hope that helps
Jim

tony detroit

Originally posted by neoreef
Sorry I used the wrong word, Tony. I meant float SWITCH .

Hey, not problems here. Just wanted to clarify things a bit. I watched the boards for quite a bit until I started posting on them. I just don't want anybody reading to get confused and go ordering the wrong parts.
:D

neoreef

Originally posted by tony detroit
Hey, not problems here. Just wanted to clarify things a bit. I watched the boards for quite a bit until I started posting on them. I just don't want anybody reading to get confused and go ordering the wrong parts.
:D

Yeah, me neither. I've learned a lot about a lot of things since I began this hobby, and some of it is confusing. It really is important to use the right words. Thanks for bringing it up.
Kathy

flatzboy

I use a reeffantic level controller will 2 float sensors/switches hooked up to an aquamedic sp 3000 dosing pump and love the setup. This is a little exspensive but well worth it. I paid $100 shipped for the level controller and $70 for the dosing pump because I drip kalk so I couldn't use a small powerhead but it will work with the reeffanatic level controller. The level controller has to float sensor/switches one to put in sump and other for water resvoir to make sure your pump doesn't suck dry.:D :D

rainmaker6

Just thinking out loud here, but how about a float heavy enough to trip a microswitch, attatched to a $10 microswitch? Wire it normally closed and when the bucket runs dry, the weight of the float trips the switch, and turns off the pump. It is in the top off bucket, so who cares how it looks, nobody is looking there anyways. Just suspend the switch from the lid of the bucket and attatch the float with a flexible line that is short enogh to not quite reach the bottom of the bucket..