Floating slimy stuff all over water

francine

Help there are particles of something pluse the water looks greasy I don't know what it is or how to get rid of it.
I have a 55 gal tank with a Eheim Drip Filter, live rock, live sand, 3 clown fish 1 puffer 2 damsels 2 feather dusters what is going on I just ordered a RO system because of too much algae all the time now what?

bgrae001

I'm not familiar with a drip filter, is that like a canister filter? any way the oily film on the surface is normal but you need to try to get rid of it. Here are 2 solutions for you.
1. purchase a surface skimmer. It will replace the siphon for your filter. they work very well and are adjustable. I used one on my seahorse tank with my canister filter for over year with no surface scum.
2. If you cant get a surface skimmer take a powerhead and point it towards the surface to create waves. it will break up the scum but it wont remove it. It is very important to try to get rid of the surface scum. not only does it look bad it can reduce o2 levels in your tank then it will start affecting PH.

francine

Hi it is a wet dry filter. I did not think I was going to need a skimmer with it especially if I go with RO which I am waiting for? Thank you guys.
francine

nm reef

Cirulation to break the surface combined with a skimmer that will remove the source of the film would probably help with the algae problem.

mr_x

francine- a protein skimmer is used to remove waste from your system. if you have an abundance of waste, then you'll need it, R.O.D.I unit or not. either that, or a strict waterchange schedule.